Thursday, July 30
Latest News
  1. Five dead in attacks as Turkey battles PKK
  2. Pakistan says second round of Afghan-Taliban talks postponed
  3. Humanitarian chief: Yemen blockade 'killing' civilians
  4. OPEC chief says oil cartel 'not ready' to cut production
  5. Syrian Kurds refine oil for themselves for first time
  6. Deadly car bomb hits Yemen capital as fighting rages in south
  7. Army: Nigeria appoints new head of multinational force on Boko Haram
  8. Analysts: Allies tolerate Turkey's double game to boost IS fight
  9. Afghan Taliban unaware of peace talks, no comment on Mullah Omar
  10. At least 12 dead as truck hits pilgrims in Mexico
  11. White House: Report of Mullah Omar death 'credible'
  12. Federal Reserve holds key rate unchanged
  13. Kuwait's Zain telecom Q2 profit dives over Arab unrest
  14. IS car bomb kills 4 near mosque in Yemen capital
  15. Pentagon assures it will check Iran's 'malign' influence
  16. Afghan intelligence: Taliban leader Mullah Omar is dead
  17. Legal source: Egyptian electrocuted trying to sneak onto Eurostar:
  18. Yemen to merge 'resistance' fighters with army
  19. UN envoy invites Syrians to parallel, thematic talks
  20. Turkey gives formal approval to US to use air base for anti-IS raids

Israeli army to resume strikes on Gaza

July 27, 2014 10:04 A.M. (Updated: July 27, 2014 10:58 P.M.)
BETHLEHEM (Ma'an) -- The Israeli army said in a statement early Sunday that it would resume attacks on Gaza by air, land, and sea in response to rocket fire from Gaza militants.

Officials had earlier said Israel would extend Saturday's brief humanitarian ceasefire until Sunday, but that its soldiers would continue searching for and destroying tunnels in the Strip throughout that time.

Hamas and other factions rejected the truce extension, with the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine saying it was an attempt to ignore Palestinian demands.

"Ceasefire isn't acceptable without accepting the demands of the resistance," PFLP official Jamil Muzhir said in a statement.

Hamas said in a statement that "no humanitarian ceasefire is valid without Israeli tanks withdrawing from the Gaza Strip and without residents being able to return to their homes and ambulances carrying bodies being able to freely move around in Gaza."

An Islamic Jihad official agreed with the response, saying his movement would not commit to any ceasefire that did not guarantee the rights of the Palestinian people.

The Democratic Front for the Liberation of Palestine and Popular Resistance Committees released a similar statement.

Militant groups in Gaza held fire during the agreed-upon humanitarian window, but began firing rockets minutes after it expired at 8:00 p.m on Saturday.

Israeli forces responded by shelling areas in the southern and central Gaza Strip, in addition to killing a man in Deir al-Balah, a Ma'an reporter in Gaza said.

Meanwhile, Israeli media reported that the army had announced the death of an additional soldier, bringing the number of Israeli troops killed in the ground invasion on the Strip to 43.

Three civilians in Israel have also been killed by militant attacks, one of whom was volunteering at a military base when he died.

At least 1,049 Palestinians have been killed and nearly 6,000 injured during Israel's assault on the Strip, some 80 percent of them civilians according to rights groups.

According to the UN agency for children, 192 Palestinian children have been killed during the latest conflict so far.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015