Saturday, Aug. 29
Latest News
  1. Brief ceasefire between Syria regime, rebels ends
  2. Egypt court hands Al-Jazeera reporters three years in jail
  3. In first, headscarf-wearing woman named minister in Turkey
  4. French journalists charged with bid to blackmail Morocco king
  5. US Republican says Iran deal makes world 'less safe'
  6. US to Iran: Release Hekmati from 'unjust detention'
  7. Pentagon: Militant hacker killed in US air strike was recruite
  8. UN: Satellite images confirm Palmyra temple destruction
  9. UN envoy urges speedy Libya talks to curb migrant crisis
  10. Four arrested over Austria truck tragedy
  11. Turkey PM forms interim government including pro-Kurdish party
  12. Amnesty accuses UAE of torturing Libyan-Canadian
  13. Qatar Airways 'shamed' into action over pregnancy, marriage
  14. Iran premieres big-budget epic film 'Muhammad'
  15. Tel Aviv's 'Iranian embassy' turns out to be atomic hoax
  16. Iraq PM orders forces to prepare to open Green Zone
  17. Officer: Yemen army recruits 4,800 southern fighters
  18. Monitor: Qaeda-led forces advance on Syria airbase
  19. 71 migrants perish in Austria truck tragedy
  20. German court says ban on rallies in Heidenau 'illegal'

Israel warns displaced Gazans not to return home on threat of death

July 26, 2014 5:45 P.M. (Updated: July 27, 2014 8:13 P.M.)
GAZA CITY (Ma'an) -- The Israeli army on Saturday warned Palestinians who have fled their homes since the beginning of the ground assault not to return, stressing that the army would not hesitate to use force against them.

The warning came as thousands returned to see the area and remove their possessions from destroyed homes, amid a 12-hour humanitarian ceasefire set to expire at 8 p.m.

The Israeli army's Arabic-language spokesman Avichay Adraee said in a statement that those who stayed on in the neighborhood past the end of the ceasefire would be "putting their lives in danger," as the army is expected to resume a heavy assault that has taken nearly 1,000 Palestinian lives so far.

Many Gazans have been left with nowhere to go, as Israel has extended the security "buffer zone" into a total of 43 percent of Gaza's land area and all borders remain closed shut.

Total evacuation orders in effect across large swathes of northern, central, and southern Gaza, according to the UN's Palestine refugee agency UNRWA, and the Israeli army has made it clear that it would treat those civilians that stayed behind as combatants.

More than 100,000 have taken refuge in UN-designated shelters, a few of which have been bombed by Israeli forces in recent days despite the fact that their coordinates have been formally given to Israeli authorities.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015