Wednesday, July 01
Latest News
  1. Egypt's Sisi pledges tougher laws after prosecutor killing
  2. Tunisia admits was not prepared for beach attack
  3. Orange reaches a deal for split with Israel's Partner after spat
  4. IS car bomb kills 28 in Yemen capital Sanaa
  5. IS beheads two Syrian women 'for the first time'
  6. Kerry says 'too soon' to tell if Iran deal sealed
  7. Bomb targets Egypt state prosecutor convoy in Cairo
  8. UAE woman 'sentenced to death for killing US teacher'
  9. Tunisia to boost security, arm tourist police after attack
  10. Family pleads for American's release on margins of Iran talks
  11. Iran judiciary chief undercuts president over concerts
  12. Monitor: Syria rebel attack on Damascus kills 4
  13. Libya rivals closer to deal after first face-to-face meet
  14. Solar Impulse takes off on delayed Pacific flight
  15. Tsipras announces temporarily bank closure, capital controls
  16. EU: All sides showing 'political will' for Iran deal
  17. Rockets from Yemen kill Saudi border guard
  18. Iraq announces arrest of senior Saddam-era official
  19. Report: Australian IS fighter 'still alive' after drone strike
  20. Kuwait Shiite mosque bomber was Saudi national

Amid Gaza ceasefire calm, 147 dead bodies found

July 26, 2014 10:58 A.M. (Updated: July 27, 2014 4:56 P.M.)
GAZA CITY (Ma'an) -- No sooner had the 12-hour ceasefire began on Saturday morning, than Gazans hurried to look for survivors and dead bodies buried under the rubble of thousands of homes destroyed by Israeli airstrikes and artillery shelling.

Ambulances, rescue teams, and families fanned out across the coastal enclave to search for the injured and for loved ones, particularly in the eastern outskirts that have been subject to intense Israeli fire in recent days.

Ministry of Health spokesman Ashraf al-Qidra said at 11:00 p.m. that 147 dead bodies had been pulled out of the rubble so far.

Al-Qidra told Ma'an that Israeli forces had refused to allow ambulances and rescue teams access to the village of Khuzaa and other border areas in order to look for survivors and dead bodies.

The Lebanese al-Mayadeen satellite TV reported that at least ten dead bodies were pulled from debris in Beit Hanoun in the northern Gaza Strip.

The channel quoted sources in the International Red Cross Committee as saying that rescue teams and ambulances were unable to access Khuzaa and that coordination with the Israeli forces was underway.

An Israeli army spokeswoman told Ma'an that Palestinians in the Khan Younis area had been told to leave their homes days ago and told not to return during the ceasefire, and that therefore rescue teams were "not allowed to search" in parts of the southern Gaza Strip.

Khuzaa has been subject to heavy Israeli shelling in recent days, with dozens killed and many more thought to be buried under the rubble since teams have been unable to access the bodies.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015