Friday, Sept. 04
Latest News
  1. Israeli army: 5 tourists attacked by local residents in Hebron
  2. Death toll in IS Yemen mosque attack rises to 32
  3. Netanyahu defends Iran deal fight after Obama secures support
  4. Security sources: 4 Turkish police killed in PKK bombing
  5. Hungary's Orban: Migrant crisis is German, not European problem
  6. WHO: Liberia declared free of Ebola - again
  7. Official: over 230,000 refugees arrive in Greece this year
  8. Guatemalan president resigns over corruption firestorm
  9. Double suicide attack kills 30 in North Cameroon
  10. Italy PM says Europe 'cannot just get emotional' about migrants
  11. Court: Two British reporters held in Turkey to be released
  12. Chung claims 'fraud' in FIFA presidential poll
  13. Obama expected to press Saudi King on conflicts in Syria, Yemen
  14. UN: 13 million children denied education by Mideast wars
  15. Drowned toddler sparks fresh horror over Europe migrant crisis
  16. IS claims Yemen Shiite mosque attack that killed 28
  17. US calls for release of Chinese rights activists
  18. Trial of Congolese rebel opens with gruesome images
  19. Gunmen kills 2 Yemeni staff of Red Cross
  20. Iran to confiscate cars of 'poorly veiled' women

Kerry: Hamas 'stubbornly' refusing ceasefire bid

July 20, 2014 8:18 P.M. (Updated: July 20, 2014 8:18 P.M.)
Washington (AFP) -- US Secretary of State John Kerry Sunday blamed Hamas for the continuation of the conflict in Gaza, saying that the group was refusing all ceasefire efforts.

"They've been offered a ceasefire and they've refused to take the ceasefire," Kerry told ABC television, adding that Hamas has "stubbornly" refused efforts to defuse the conflict "even though Egypt and others have called for that ceasefire."

By its actions Hamas had "invited further actions" by the Israelis to stop the rocket fire from the Gaza Strip into southern Israel, Kerry said.

Hamas said earlier in the week that it was not consulted on the proposed ceasefire before it was announced, implying that the offer was a ploy to justify a further expansion of the Israeli assault.

"It's ugly, obviously, war is ugly. And bad things are going to happen. But they need to recognize their own responsibility," he added, referring to Hamas.

He urged Hamas to "be responsible and accept ... a multilateral ceasefire without conditions."

More than 60 Palestinians were killed Sunday as Israeli forces pounded northern Gaza, sending thousands more fleeing in terror in the deadliest assault on the enclave in five years.

Sunday's bloody toll prompted urgent efforts by the International Committee of the Red Cross to broker a temporary ceasefire to allow paramedics to evacuate the dead and wounded in a deal accepted by both sides.

Blitzing the Sunday television talk shows, Kerry said he was planning to meet up with UN chief Ban Ki-moon who is headed to the Middle East to lend his efforts to seeking a truce.

"We're working on the idea of a ceasefire," Kerry told CNN television, adding that President Barack Obama was to speak later Sunday with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

"Israel is under siege by a terrorist organization that has seen fit to dig tunnels and come through those tunnels with handcuffs and tranquilizer drugs, prepared to try to capture Israeli citizens and take them back to hold them hostage," Kerry said.

"No country could sit by and not take steps to try to deal with people who are sending thousands of rockets your way."

More than 420 Palestinians have been killed in Israel's 13-day assault, while 18 Israelis -- 16 of whom were soldiers invading Gaza -- have perished.

ma'an staff contributed to this report.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015