BETHLEHEM (Ma'an) -- Israeli forces on Sunday agreed to a two-hour ceasefire in the Shujaiyya area of Gaza City following Red Cross requests to evacuate wounded from a deadly bombardment.
The ceasefire was meant to last from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. to allow Palestinians to evacuate dozens of dead bodies of Palestinians who were killed in the city, and hundreds of injured people who had been unable to go to hospitals.
Hamas had said earlier that Israel rejected a three-hour ceasefire proposed by the Red Cross.
Spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said officials of the Red Cross contacted Hamas and suggested to broker a three-hour ceasefire.
Hamas agreed to the proposal, but the Israelis refused it, said Abu Zuhri. He highlighted that Israeli forces prevented ambulance services from doing their work.
"The Israeli occupation is committing a war crime in the full sense of the word in Gaza City and trying to conceal the crime from the world," he charged.