Thursday, May 28
Latest News
  1. Etihad profits soar 52 percent on expansion, more passengers
  2. Cyprus holds Lebanese man over possible bomb material
  3. Two Saudi border guards die in Yemen shelling
  4. Catholic Church says withdrawing support for Burundi elections
  5. Libya issues warning after PM escapes assassination
  6. Nebraska becomes 19th US state to halt death penalty
  7. Referendum to ask should Britain 'remain' member of EU
  8. US army says 22 possibly exposed to anthrax at S. Korea base
  9. Minister: Malaysia believes 139 bodies in migrant graves
  10. Chief of Al-Qaeda's Syria affiliate pledges no attacks on the West
  11. Syrian soldiers tell of harrowing escape from besieged hospital
  12. Blatter ally AFC opposes FIFA vote delay
  13. Libya issues warning after PM escapes assassination
  14. Coalition raids on rebels in Yemen capital kill 43
  15. EU asks member states to admit 40,000 asylum seekers
  16. Official: Bangladesh plans to move thousands of Rohingya to island
  17. Iraq forces in Anbar push, stir over operation codename
  18. Brother urges Iran to free reporter held on 'laughable' charges
  19. Yemeni pleads guilty in New York to Al-Qaeda conspiracy
  20. UN seeks new date for Yemen talks

Egyptian military block activist aid convoy to Gaza

July 19, 2014 6:48 P.M. (Updated: July 20, 2014 9:10 P.M.)
BALLOZA CHECKPOINT, Egypt (AFP) -- Egyptian soldiers in north Sinai prevented an aid convoy of activists from reaching the Rafah border crossing with the embattled Gaza Strip on Saturday, an AFP correspondent said.

An army officer at the Balloza checkpoint, one of many along the desert highway to Rafah, told an AFP correspondent that the security situation in the restive peninsula was too unstable to allow the convoy of 11 buses and 500 activists to pass.

There was a brief scuffle between some activists and soldiers but no arrests were made.

Egypt usually keeps the crossing closed, citing a counter-insurgency operation against militants in north Sinai, but has allowed entry to Palestinians wounded in the 12-day conflict between Hamas and Israel.

At least 333 Palestinians and three Israelis have died in the unrest, the third conflict to erupt in and around Gaza in seven years.

The Egyptian military had earlier said it was sending 500 tonnes of food and medical aide to the besieged enclave.

Hamas, militant Islamist rulers of Gaza, have refused to accept a ceasefire with Israel until it receives guarantees that border crossings to Gaza -- all but one under Israeli control -- will be opened.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015