Sunday, April 26
Latest News
  1. Clashes rage in Yemen as calls for peace talks grow
  2. EU AgenPolice arrest 26 across Europe in horsemeat scandal
  3. Home ministry: At least 114 killed in Nepal quake
  4. US: Russia failing to fully implement Ukraine ceasefire
  5. Kerry urges Yemen rebels and their allies to enter talks
  6. Ex-Yemen leader urges rebel allies to heed UN, pull back
  7. Iraq lacks DNA results to test body of 'Saddam deputy'
  8. Family: Syria's sacked political spy chief dead
  9. Officials: 14 Somali, Afghan immigrants killed by train in Macedonia
  10. UNICEF: At least 115 children killed in Yemen since March 26
  11. Athens stocks jump 4.4% on hopes of EU deal
  12. EU clears 19 genetically modified products
  13. Seismologists: Strong earthquake rattles New Zealand
  14. EU says progress 'not sufficient' for Greece debt deal
  15. World leaders join silence at ceremony marking Armenian genocide
  16. Jordan's crown prince at UN takes on militant 'dark world'
  17. US officials: Iranian ships turn back from Yemen
  18. Pakistan PM affirms Saudi 'solidarity' despite Yemen snub
  19. Three British plane spotters released in UAE
  20. UK regulator fines Deutsche Bank $340 mn over Libor

UNRWA: More than 30,000 Gazans fled to shelters since Thursday

July 18, 2014 3:39 A.M. (Updated: July 19, 2014 9:38 A.M.)
GAZA CITY (Ma'an) -- The UN's Palestinian refugee agency UNRWA said on Friday that more than 30,000 people had fled their homes to take shelter in 34 UNRWA schools located across the Gaza Strip since Thursday.

Before Thursday, UNRWA estimated that 20,000 Palestinians had fled their homes as a result of an Israeli assault now in its 11th day, but that number has now more than doubled since Israel launched a ground assault in the northern and southern Gaza Strip.

Israeli forces have also issued multiple evacuation orders across the northern Gaza Strip since the conflict began, instructing more than 100,000 Palestinians to leave their homes in order to allow the military to carry out operations.

Although Israel has highlighted the evacuation orders as part of its strategy to avoid civilian casualties, Gazans have pointed out that because all borders are closed, they have nowhere to flee to.

Additionally, Israel has in the past said that all those who remain in their homes will be considered potential targets for military operations, leaving tens of thousands with nowhere to go in a precarious situation.

UNRWA said in the statement that they will begin distributing emergency food supplies on July 23 instead of August 3, as they had previously planned to do.

They also said that they will be giving a basket of supplies to a limited number of families, and that the families and the contents of the basket will be determined after evaluating the damages.

Since Israel began its assault on the Gaza Strip 11 days ago, 265 Palestinians have been killed and more than 2,000 injured, while two Israelis have died and six have been injured.

Prior to the conflict, more than half of the Gaza Strip's 1.7 million inhabitants were classified as refugees, being forced from their original homes inside what is now Israel by Zionist forces in 1948.

Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015