Wednesday, Sept. 02
Latest News
  1. Gunmen kills 2 Yemeni staff of Red Cross
  2. Iran to confiscate cars of 'poorly veiled' women
  3. 'At least 50 dead' in Shebab attack on AU base
  4. Thousands arrive in Athens as migrant influx piles pressure on EU
  5. Millions strike in India over 'anti-labor reforms'
  6. Turkish connection probed in Bangkok bomber search
  7. Italy ready to impose border controls after Germany request
  8. Israel opposes Palestinian flag-raising at the UN
  9. Saudi top cleric slams Iran prophet movie
  10. Qatar to enforce key labor reform from November
  11. Lebanon government powerless as protesters escalate campaign
  12. Car bomb kills 10 in Syria regime bastion Latakia
  13. Gunmen kidnap 18 Turks in Iraq capital
  14. Palmyra temple destruction a 'crime against civilization'
  15. Saudi-led coalition air strikes in south Yemen kill 20
  16. Lebanon police ejecting protesters from ministry
  17. Libya car bomb wounds one, damages office of Eni firm
  18. UN envoy to meet with Libya's Tripoli parliament ahead of talks
  19. Border agency: Migrants using fake Syrian passports to enter EU
  20. Migrant trains arrive in Austria as crisis deepens

Hamas official says no new truce deal, efforts ongoing

July 17, 2014 1:54 P.M. (Updated: July 19, 2014 1:25 A.M.)
GAZA CITY (AFP) -- A Hamas official denied a ceasefire deal with Israel has been reached, rejecting claims from an Israeli official that they had agreed to halt fire early Friday.

"The news about a ceasefire is incorrect. There are continuing efforts but no agreement until now," Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri told AFP on Thursday.

The denial came after an Israeli official who spoke to AFP on condition of anonymity said Israel had agreed a ceasefire with Hamas that would begin at 6 a.m. on Friday.

The conflicting reports come only days after Israel announced the collapse of a ceasefire deal brokered by Egypt on Thursday, after Hamas officials said that they had not been informed of the agreement and had only learned through the media.

Israel used Hamas' denials to blame the group for violating the ceasefire, and subsequently announced an expanded incursion into the Gaza Strip.

A temporary five-hour humanitarian ceasefire was still in force on Thursday afternoon, despite Israeli airstrikes earlier in the day that killed eight Palestinians and the firing of three rockets by Palestinian militants into Israel.

That ceasefire was proposed by the UN special envoy for United Nations Special Coordinator for the Middle East Peace Process after Israeli shelling killed four children playing on a beach near Gaza City, leading to international outcry.

Gaza-based rights groups have reported that around 80 percent of the 230 Palestinians killed have been civilians, while 1,678 have been injured according to Gaza medical authorities.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015