Thursday, Nov. 26
Latest News
  1. Palestinian teen shot 2 weeks previously dies from wounds
  2. Palestinian shot after attacking Israeli soldier dies from injuries
  3. Israeli forces detain 4 teens from al-Issawiya
  4. Israeli troops detain 31 Palestinians across West Bank, Jerusalem
  5. Kerry supports Israeli 'self-defense' against 'senseless terrorism'
  6. 2 Palestinians, 1 Israeli settler injured in car accident near Hebron
  7. Israeli forces detain 8-year-old boy near Hebron
  8. Abbas meets with Kerry in Ramallah during Mideast visit
  9. 7 Palestinians detained in Hebron district
  10. Israeli forces raid homes of Palestinian teens who stabbed soldier

Hamas officially rejects Egypt truce initiative

July 16, 2014 10:25 P.M. (Updated: July 16, 2014 10:25 P.M.)
GAZA CITY (Ma'an) -- Hamas said on Wednesday that they had "officially" informed Cairo that they had not accepted the Egyptian peace initiative, after Israel blamed the group for breaking a ceasefire Monday.

Hamas spokesperson Sami Abu Zuhri said in a statement that Hamas is open to a ceasefire with Israel, but insisted that it be under their conditions.

Hamas has insisted that any ceasefire include provisions to end the seven-year long Israeli siege on the Gaza Strip, which has crippled the region's economy.

The statements come after Israel announced the collapse of an Egyptian-negotiated truce deal on Tuesday, which Hamas officials claimed that they had never been contacted about and thus did not abide by.

"Abbas is acting in accordance with the Egyptian initiative which is no longer accepted and there is no way to proceed with," Abu Zuhri said, confirming that Hamas did not recognize the deal.

Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015