Saturday, April 25
Latest News
  1. Home ministry: At least 114 killed in Nepal quake
  2. US: Russia failing to fully implement Ukraine ceasefire
  3. Kerry urges Yemen rebels and their allies to enter talks
  4. Ex-Yemen leader urges rebel allies to heed UN, pull back
  5. Iraq lacks DNA results to test body of 'Saddam deputy'
  6. Family: Syria's sacked political spy chief dead
  7. Officials: 14 Somali, Afghan immigrants killed by train in Macedonia
  8. UNICEF: At least 115 children killed in Yemen since March 26
  9. Athens stocks jump 4.4% on hopes of EU deal
  10. EU clears 19 genetically modified products
  11. Seismologists: Strong earthquake rattles New Zealand
  12. EU says progress 'not sufficient' for Greece debt deal
  13. World leaders join silence at ceremony marking Armenian genocide
  14. Jordan's crown prince at UN takes on militant 'dark world'
  15. US officials: Iranian ships turn back from Yemen
  16. Pakistan PM affirms Saudi 'solidarity' despite Yemen snub
  17. Three British plane spotters released in UAE
  18. UK regulator fines Deutsche Bank $340 mn over Libor
  19. Saudi tightens mall security after alert
  20. Markit: Eurozone business activity slows in April

Israel resumes airstrikes on Gaza Strip

July 15, 2014 3:43 P.M. (Updated: July 16, 2014 10:18 P.M.)
GAZA CITY (AFP) -- Israel carried out at least four airstrikes against Gaza on Tuesday afternoon, resuming raids after a truce failed to

get off the ground, AFP correspondents and eyewitnesses said.

An AFP correspondent reported one air strike east of Gaza City, and eyewitnesses reported a second in the center of the city.

Witnesses also reported strikes in al-Nuseirat in central Gaza as well as in the Khan Younis area in the south.

There were no immediate reports of deaths or injuries.

Israeli airstrikes killed five Palestinians in Gaza overnight Monday, with at least 192 killed and 1,400 injured as Israel's assault enters its eighth day.

The raids came shortly after Israel's army announced it was ending a ceasefire it said it had observed since 9 a.m. under the terms of an Egyptian truce proposal.

Hamas said it was not consulted by any official party and only heard of the initiative through the media.

"Hamas has fired 47 rockets since we suspended our strikes in Gaza at 9:00 a.m. As a result, we have resumed our operation against Hamas," the army said on its official Twitter account.

Speaking on condition of anonymity, a senior Israeli official told AFP that the military had been ordered to "act forcefully".

Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said: "Nobody has consulted us about this initiative, and so it is natural that the initiative isn't binding to us."

The Hamas official condemned international and regional support for the ceasefire initiative, explaining that if one of the sides involved in the conflict is not consulted it is "worthless."

More than 192 people have been killed in Gaza over the past week as Israel has waged a relentless air campaign against the coastal enclave, killing mainly civilians, according to OCHA.

In response, militants have fired more than a thousand rockets into Israel where no one has been killed in the current confrontation.

Ma'an staff contributed to this report
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015