Friday, Sept. 04
Latest News
  1. Israeli army: 5 tourists attacked by local residents in Hebron
  2. Death toll in IS Yemen mosque attack rises to 32
  3. Netanyahu defends Iran deal fight after Obama secures support
  4. Security sources: 4 Turkish police killed in PKK bombing
  5. Hungary's Orban: Migrant crisis is German, not European problem
  6. WHO: Liberia declared free of Ebola - again
  7. Official: over 230,000 refugees arrive in Greece this year
  8. Guatemalan president resigns over corruption firestorm
  9. Double suicide attack kills 30 in North Cameroon
  10. Italy PM says Europe 'cannot just get emotional' about migrants
  11. Court: Two British reporters held in Turkey to be released
  12. Chung claims 'fraud' in FIFA presidential poll
  13. Obama expected to press Saudi King on conflicts in Syria, Yemen
  14. UN: 13 million children denied education by Mideast wars
  15. Drowned toddler sparks fresh horror over Europe migrant crisis
  16. IS claims Yemen Shiite mosque attack that killed 28
  17. US calls for release of Chinese rights activists
  18. Trial of Congolese rebel opens with gruesome images
  19. Gunmen kills 2 Yemeni staff of Red Cross
  20. Iran to confiscate cars of 'poorly veiled' women

Israeli commandos make first ground incursion in Gaza

July 13, 2014 10:10 A.M. (Updated: July 15, 2014 10:47 A.M.)
JERUSALEM (AFP) -- Israeli marines mounted a first ground assault on Gaza early Sunday, further escalating a deadly six-day offensive hours after the UN Security Council unanimously called for a ceasefire.

As world powers prepared to meet in Vienna over the escalating conflict, the Palestinian death toll from Israel's punishing air campaign hit 165 following the bloodiest day yet, which left 56 people dead.

So far, no Israelis have been killed, although militants in Gaza have pounded the south and center of the country with more than 630 rockets since the fighting began on July 8, as Israel and Hamas militants faced off in the biggest confrontation since 2012.

Overnight, Israeli naval commandos raided the northern Gaza Strip on a mission to destroy longer-range rockets, dozens of which have been fired at cities as far away as Tel Aviv, Jerusalem and Hadera in the north, sending tens of thousands fleeing for cover.

"A naval commando operation took place on a beach in Gaza this morning with the aim of hitting a long-distance rocket launching site," Lieutenant Colonel Peter Lerner told reporters, saying the mission was a success, despite four soldiers being lightly injured.

Radio reports spoke of a fierce gun battle with Hamas militants in the Sudaniya district.

The ground operation came just hours after the UN Security Council unanimously urged Israel and Hamas to return to the ceasefire agreement that ended their last round of fighting in November 2012.

The chief diplomats of Britain, France, Germany and the United States were due to discuss truce efforts when they meet in Vienna later on Sunday.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015