Wednesday, May 27
Latest News
  1. Turkey says training of moderate Syrian rebels begins with US
  2. Pro-government fighters push rebels out of Yemen city
  3. Police: suspected Fulani herdsmen kill at least 23 in central Nigeria
  4. Obama: Russia adopting 'increasingly aggressive posture' in Ukraine
  5. Washington Post reporter stands trial in Iran for spying
  6. Austrian 14-year-old jailed on 'terrorism' charges
  7. Saudi beheads 88th person, exceeding last year's total
  8. Charter buys US giant Time Warner Cable in $78.7 billion deal
  9. Diplomat: France suspends security cooperation with Burundi
  10. Libya tribal chiefs meet in Cairo peace initiative
  11. Alleged UAE killer of American 'aware of her actions'
  12. Britain and Russia agree to resume talks on Syria
  13. Fierce fighting in Yemen as peace hopes fade
  14. Russia, Iran talks on S-300 missiles end in 'success'
  15. Washington Post reporter stands trial in Iran for spying
  16. Iran denies agreement on military site inspections
  17. Saudi Shiites prepare mass funeral for bombing victims
  18. Fierce fighting in Yemen as peace hopes fade
  19. Israel ex-PM Olmert sentenced to 8 months for corruption
  20. Iraq PM rebuts US criticism of security forces

Death toll passes 100 as Israel continues Gaza assault

July 11, 2014 10:28 A.M. (Updated: July 12, 2014 11:35 A.M.)
GAZA CITY (Ma'an) -- Eighteen Palestinians have been killed in Israeli airstrikes since midnight Friday, Gaza's Ministry of Health said, bringing the death toll in Israel's military assault to over 100.

The latest airstrikes and shelling killed two Palestinians and injured 16 others in Deir al-Balah in the central Gaza Strip, bringing the number of dead Friday to 18.

Medical sources said that the bodies of Mohammed Samiri and one other arrived at the Al-Aqsa Martyrs Hospital.

In the al-Nizar neighborhood in al-Shujaiyya in eastern Gaza City late Friday, a separate airstrike killed two people.

Spokesman for the ministry of health Ashraf al-Qidra said Hussein al-Mamlok, 47, and Saber Sukkar, 80 were killed and three others were injured in the strike.

Three others were injured, he said.

Medics say the attacks raised the death toll to 108 since the campaign began.

Nearly 700 have been injured.

Earlier, warplanes targeted worshipers leaving a mosque in the al-Zaytoun neighborhood, medics said. Seven people were injured.

An earlier attack on a home in Jabaliya killed Saher Abu Namous, 4, while another in the same city killed an elderly man, Muhammad Rabee Abu Hmeidan, medics said.

An airstrike on a car in central Gaza killed Hamas municipality employees Mazen Aslan and Shahraman Abu Kas, and a five-year-old, Shahd al-Qarnawi, later died from injuries sustained in the blast.

Earlier, five Palestinians were killed and 15 injured in Rafah after the Israeli air force targeted the Ghannam family home.

Ghaliya Dib Jaber Ghannam, 7, Wissam Abdulraziq Hassan Ghannam, 23, Mahmoud Abduloraziq Hassan Ghannam, 26, Kifah Shihada Dib Ghannam, 20, and Muhammad Munir Ashur, 25, were identified as those killed.

The home was hit without warning and the impact of the airstrike completely destroyed the building and several surrounding properties.

Toddler Nour Abu al-Najdah was also killed in Rafah after being injured by shrapnel from an airstrike, while Raed Abu Hani, 50, was killed in eastern Rafah.

Adnan al-Ashhab, 40, died from injuries sustained in an airstrike near the al-Nuseirat refugee camp.

In Gaza City, Israeli warplanes targeted a fifth-floor apartment building, killing Anas Abu al-Kas.

According to Gaza's Ministry of Health, over 100 Palestinians have been killed and at least 600 injured in Israel's assault on the besieged coastal enclave.

The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs published an emergency report documenting that 58 Palestinian civilians, including 11 women and 21 children, have been killed as of 3 p.m. Thursday during Israel's assault.

Over 300 homes have been totally destroyed or severely damaged and around 2,000 Gazans have been made homeless, OCHA added.

US President Barack Obama said he was concerned the fighting could escalate and "called for all sides to do everything they can to protect the lives of civilians", the White House said.

"The United States remains prepared to facilitate a cessation of hostilities, including a return to the November 2012 ceasefire agreement."

Appeals for an immediate truce also came from UN chief Ban Ki-moon at an emergency meeting Thursday of the Security Council, saying a ceasefire was "more urgent than ever".

Russian President Vladimir Putin issued a similar plea in a phone call to Netanyahu, urging an immediate end to the bloodshed and expressing concern over civilian casualties.

Hamas has been striking deep inside Israel over the past 48 hours, with rockets crashing down near Jerusalem and Tel Aviv and even as far away as Hadera, 116 kilometers to the north.

Senior Hamas member and the movement's former Gaza prime minister Ismail Haniyeh ruled out any backing down by the group.

"The enemy (Israel) is the one that started this aggression and it must stop, because we are (simply) defending ourselves," Haniyeh said in a statement early Friday.

1090 sites bombed

Since the start of the operation, the Israeli military's biggest offensive on Gaza since November 2012, its forces have hit over 1090 sites in Gaza.

In the same period, Gaza militants fired 407 mortars and rockets that struck Israel, while another 118 rockets were intercepted, an army spokeswoman said Friday.

Israel has approved the call-up of 40,000 reservists.

In a news conference, Hamas' armed wing the al-Qassam Brigades issued a veiled threat to kidnap soldiers, saying a "ground war will be a chance to free Palestinian prisoners."

Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said in a separate statement that Israel would "pay the price for its crimes," saying an Israeli ground assault would be a mistake, calling Israeli troops "cowards."

AFP contributed to this report
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015