Tuesday, Sept. 01
Latest News
  1. Libya car bomb wounds one, damages office of Eni firm
  2. UN envoy to meet with Libya's Tripoli parliament ahead of talks
  3. Border agency: Migrants using fake Syrian passports to enter EU
  4. Migrant trains arrive in Austria as crisis deepens
  5. Turkish court arrests British journalists on terror charges
  6. Locals: Boko Haram kills nearly 80 in NE Nigeria villages
  7. Austria smuggler crackdown as Europe divided over migrant crisis
  8. 'Largest ever' Med gas field found off Egypt
  9. Egypt muezzin suspended over 'Facebook prayer call'
  10. 3 Canadians, Pakistani, Nigerian among dead in Saudi fire
  11. 'A Sinner in Mecca' documents gay Muslim pilgrimage
  12. A year on, Yazidis so close yet so far from Iraq hub
  13. Delayed Egypt elections to start on October 17
  14. Blast at Syria's Palmyra prompts fears for famed temple
  15. 11 dead, dozens hurt in fire at Saudi oil giant housing complex
  16. Red Crescent: 7 bodies wash up on Libya beach
  17. Egypt elections to start on October 17
  18. Kuwaiti MP: Iran is 'true enemy' of Gulf Arabs
  19. Iran bars Barenboim, thwarting Tehran concert plan
  20. Qatar exports plunge over 40 pct in year

3 teens laid to rest, Israel mulls response

July 1, 2014 10:01 P.M. (Updated: July 3, 2014 11:42 A.M.)
MODIIN, Israel (AFP) -- Israel on Tuesday paid an emotional farewell to three teenagers killed in the West Bank, while vowing to hunt down the Hamas militants it holds responsible for their kidnap and murder.

The disappearance of Gilad Shaer and Naftali Frenkel, both 16, and 19-year-old Eyal Ifrach, from a roadside in the southern West Bank on June 12 and the hunt for their kidnappers has gripped the Israeli public, triggering an outpouring of public grief and anger.

But the drama drew to a bitter end on Monday when troops uncovered three bodies in a field in the West Bank.

All three had been shot in a triple murder blamed on militants from Hamas.

Twenty-four hours later, tens of thousands of mourners from across the country packed into the cemetery in Modiin in central Israel to pay their last respects at a ceremony attended by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and President Shimon Peres.

"I know the pain of mourning. There is nothing worse than that," said Netanyahu standing by the three coffins, each draped with a blue and white Israeli flag.

Israel has vowed it will exact a high price from Hamas for the murders, but at the funerals there were no calls for bloodshed or revenge.

"I managed to speak to you just before you set off home. I heard your peaceful and loving voice ... and now you've come home to us," said Ofir Shaer, addressing his son Gilad, his voice hoarse with emotion.

"Now Mum and I are facing the biggest challenge of our lives."

"Rest in peace, my son," said Naftali's mother Rachel Frankel, her voice cracking with emotion in a departure from the image of strength she had consistently projected in multiple public appearances since June 12.

National trauma

The story has received almost blanket coverage in Israel since the three students disappeared, with thousands of people turning out for a mass prayer session at the Western Wall in the Old City, and again in Tel Aviv on Sunday.

"This has become a spontaneous day of national mourning," Netanyahu said at the funeral, addressing a crowd that stretched as far as the eye could see.

The teens were likely shot dead soon after they were picked up, with their bodies buried in a field near Halhul, just 10 minutes from where they were last seen.

"We know how to settle accounts with Hamas. We will not rest until we lay our hands on them," Defense Minister Moshe Yaalon said.

There has never been any credible claim of responsibility for the abductions, and Hamas has described Israel's accusations as "stupid."

PM to avoid escalation

Israel has vowed to hunt down the killers, and the security cabinet was to meet for a second night on Tuesday to discuss how to deal with Hamas, officials said.

Netanyahu was expected to give a brief statement at 1730 GMT at the start of the meeting at the defense ministry in Tel Aviv.

A string of hardline MPs and ministers have demanded Israel deal a crushing blow to Hamas, whose stronghold is in the Gaza Strip. But ministers are sharply at odds over the right course of action, army radio reported.

An Israeli official told AFP that Yaalon had suggested a "measured" military response, and Netanyahu was inclined to accept his position.

He also proposed turning a former West Bank army base into a new Jewish settlement in their memory, the official said, confirming a report by Haaretz newspaper.

Commentators said Netanyahu was unlikely to seek a major escalation.

"The prime minister is expected to refrain from an excessively fierce reaction because of (the Muslim holy month of) Ramadan and the fear of the reactions that a large-scale military operation might elicit," Yediot said.

Although Israeli warplanes pounded Gaza hitting 34 targets overnight, nobody was killed and only four people were hurt.

Hamas has warned any Israeli attack would "open the gates of hell."

Two Hamas men named by Israel as the prime suspects -- Marwan Qawasmeh and Amer Abu Eishe -- remain at large, although troops blew up their homes on Tuesday, witnesses said.

Since June 12, Israel has arrested 419 Palestinians arrested, two thirds of them Hamas members, and six Palestinians have been killed in clashes triggered by the operation.

Gaza militants have also fired dozens of rockets at southern Israel since June 12, prompting Israel to stage dozens of retaliatory air strikes which have so far killed three Palestinians.

Nine more rockets struck the south on Tuesday, the army said.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015