GAZA CITY (Ma'an) -- Israeli authorities' ban on visits to Gaza prisoners in Israeli jails for the third week in a row “is as if their hunger strike has not ended,” an official said Monday.
An International Committee of the Red Cross spokesman said that “the Israeli side informed us that visits are banned until further notice.”
Nasser al-Najjar told Ma'an that the Red Cross keeps up contact with Israel and that it will inform the families of prisoners as soon as Israel re-allows visits.
Israel has banned visits after three Israeli settlers were announced missing near a settlement near Hebron.
An official at the Association of Palestinian Prisoners and Ex-prisoners said that the Israeli prison service “still treats the prisoners as if their hunger strike has not ended and as if there is no agreement.”
Muwaffak Hmeid told Ma'an that the agreement states that all the “privileges” that were banned should be re-allowed, including use of the cantina, televisions and radios and appliances. However, not have been allowed so far.
“In addition to that the visits are still banned since three Israeli settlers went missing, as a punishment,” Hmeid added.
“We are expecting an announcement explaining the agreement from the leaders of the strike.”