Wednesday, May 27
Latest News
  1. EU asks member states to admit 40,000 asylum seekers
  2. Official: Bangladesh plans to move thousands of Rohingya to island
  3. Iraq forces in Anbar push, stir over operation codename
  4. Brother urges Iran to free reporter held on 'laughable' charges
  5. Yemeni pleads guilty in New York to Al-Qaeda conspiracy
  6. UN seeks new date for Yemen talks
  7. Draft bill on transsexuals sent to Iran parliament
  8. EU to unveil latest plan to absorb migrants fairly
  9. Spokesman: Libya PM escapes assassination attempt
  10. AFP: Multiple explosions, gunfire in Kabul diplomatic area
  11. Govt: Kabul gunbattle ends with four attackers killed
  12. Turkey says training of moderate Syrian rebels begins with US
  13. Pro-government fighters push rebels out of Yemen city
  14. Police: suspected Fulani herdsmen kill at least 23 in central Nigeria
  15. Obama: Russia adopting 'increasingly aggressive posture' in Ukraine
  16. Washington Post reporter stands trial in Iran for spying
  17. Austrian 14-year-old jailed on 'terrorism' charges
  18. Saudi beheads 88th person, exceeding last year's total
  19. Charter buys US giant Time Warner Cable in $78.7 billion deal
  20. Diplomat: France suspends security cooperation with Burundi

Israel lifts ban on international travel for Hebron residents

June 29, 2014 2:22 P.M. (Updated: June 29, 2014 7:08 P.M.)
BETHLEHEM (Ma'an) -- Israel has ended a ban on the international travel of Palestinian residents of Hebron beginning Sunday, the Palestinian general director of crossings and borders said.

The ban on Hebron residents using the Allenby Bridge -- the only connection to the outside world for West Bank residents under military occupation and banned from using Israel's nearby Ben Gurion airport -- was imposed on the 800,000 residents of Hebron two weeks ago after three Israeli teenagers went missing from the Jewish settlement of Gush Etzion.

The ban was lifted after great effort on the part of Palestinian officials, general director Nathmi Muhanna said.

Muhanna told Ma'an that Israeli authorities notified the Palestinian minister of civil affairs Hussein al-Sheikh that Palestinians from the Hebron district are now permitted to use the Allenby Bridge, sometimes called the King Hussein or Karama crossing, into and from Jordan.

He added that all travelers from Hebron who entered the crossing Sunday were allowed to leave for Jordan, and not a single passenger was denied.

The ban was imposed as part of wider restrictions on the movement of all Palestinians from Hebron, and the Israeli military continues to maintain a heavy presence in the region as the search for the three teenagers continues.

Israel has accused Hamas of being behind the "kidnapping," a charge Hamas has strongly denied.

Since the campaign began, seven Palestinians in the West Bank have been killed, more than 130 injured, and nearly 600 detained.

Palestinian officials have accused Israel of engaging in "collective punishment" in the campaign.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015