Thursday, July 27
Latest News
  1. Fire outside Israeli national insurance headquarters in East Jerusalem
  2. Palestinian factions call for Friday protests in support of Al-Aqsa
  3. Israeli settlers raid Palestinian home in Hebron, move in furniture
  4. EU court rules to keep Hamas on terror blacklist
  5. Al-Haq: Palestinian shopkeepers suffer as Old City souq remains closed
  6. Israeli forces raid health clinic in hometown of Halamish attacker
  7. UN envoy calls on Fatah, Hamas, to reconcile to end Gaza’s suffering
  8. Amnesty slams Israeli police for ‘terrifying’ hospital raids
  9. Israel to destroy remains of previously demolished attacker's home
  10. Israeli forces detain 22 Palestinians, seize weapons in raids

Army: 7 projectiles fired from Gaza toward southern Israel

June 27, 2014 11:45 P.M. (Updated: June 29, 2014 2:48 P.M.)
BETHLEHEM (Ma'an) -- Militants in the Gaza Strip launched six rockets and a mortar shell toward populated areas in the southern Negev region, Israel's military said late Friday.

The country's anti-rocket Iron Dome system intercepted two of the rockets, an army spokeswoman told Ma'an.

There were no reports of injury or damage.

Hours earlier, two Palestinians were killed and two others were wounded after Israel's air force bombed a car traveling near al-Shati refugee camp in Gaza City.

The killing was the first targeted assassination by Israel since the formation of the Palestinian national unity government at the beginning of June.

The two were apparently affiliated with the al-Nasser Salah al-Din Brigades, the military wing of the Popular Resistance Committees.

The Popular Resistance Committees is a Gaza-based militant group that opposes negotiations with Israel and frequently fires rockets from Gaza.

Israel's army said it targeted the "terror operatives" due to their involvement in launching rockets at Israel over the past week.

Both men were planning further attacks against Israel, it added.

The strike comes amid increased tensions across the region as an Israeli military campaign across the West Bank enters into its second week.

The campaign, which is the largest deployment since the early 2000s, has left eight Palestinians dead, more than 130 wounded, and more than 560 detained.

It has also meant near nightly airstrikes for Gaza, as Israeli forces pound the besieged coastal enclave in response to rocket attacks by local militants angry about the West Bank offensive.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2017