Tuesday, Sept. 01
Latest News
  1. Turkish court arrests British journalists on terror charges
  2. Locals: Boko Haram kills nearly 80 in NE Nigeria villages
  3. Austria smuggler crackdown as Europe divided over migrant crisis
  4. 'Largest ever' Med gas field found off Egypt
  5. Egypt muezzin suspended over 'Facebook prayer call'
  6. 3 Canadians, Pakistani, Nigerian among dead in Saudi fire
  7. 'A Sinner in Mecca' documents gay Muslim pilgrimage
  8. A year on, Yazidis so close yet so far from Iraq hub
  9. Delayed Egypt elections to start on October 17
  10. Blast at Syria's Palmyra prompts fears for famed temple
  11. 11 dead, dozens hurt in fire at Saudi oil giant housing complex
  12. Red Crescent: 7 bodies wash up on Libya beach
  13. Egypt elections to start on October 17
  14. Kuwaiti MP: Iran is 'true enemy' of Gulf Arabs
  15. Iran bars Barenboim, thwarting Tehran concert plan
  16. Qatar exports plunge over 40 pct in year
  17. Beheaded Syriac bishop beatified a century after death
  18. Hungary police make new arrest over Austrian migrant tragedy
  19. Berlin, Paris, London seek urgent EU meeting on migrant crisis
  20. French PM: Migrants fleeing war, persecution must be let in

West Bank crackdown 'to end in days'

June 23, 2014 8:20 P.M. (Updated: June 25, 2014 9:23 A.M.)
BETHLEHEM (Ma'an) -- The major Israeli military incursion in the West Bank will come to an end in a few days, a high-ranking Israeli military officer said Monday.

Speaking to the Hebrew-language news site Walla, the officer highlighted that after 11 days, the military operation across the West Bank, with a focus on Hebron district, has failed to find a clue leading to the three teenage settlers believed to have been kidnapped in the southern West Bank.

The officer pointed out that overnight detention raids would not stop, although the major incursion would come to an end. He added that the operation started against what he called “terrorist infrastructure” of Hamas immediately after the Israeli political echelon announced that Hamas was behind the kidnapping.

After 11 days, added the top Israeli officer, the military operation can’t continue in the same pattern especially after the Israeli forces have almost completed their "bank of targets."

Surprisingly, the officer said the army considers the operation a success, despite that it failed to lead to a clue about the missing teenagers. The success, he added, is based on the fact that large numbers of Hamas supporters have been detained, and that the infrastructure of Hamas in the West Bank has been crippled.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015