Thursday, Feb. 11
Latest News
  1. 16-year-old Palestinian shot dead during clashes in Hebron's al-Arrub
  2. Israeli forces blockade Bethlehem-area village after nearby stabbing
  3. Israeli forces detain 12 Palestinians across West Bank
  4. PA fails to cover Gaza student tuition fees pledged last year
  5. Knesset approves divisive 'NGO transparency bill' in first reading
  6. Israeli settler wounded in Gush Etzion stabbing
  7. Foreign press voices dismay as Israel alleges media bias
  8. Hamas fighter killed in week's 2nd deadly tunnel collapse
  9. PLO condemns Hamas military wing for execution in Gaza Strip
  10. 2 Palestinian girls detained after alleged stabbing attempts

PCHR condemns army killing of mentally disabled man

June 22, 2014 6:24 P.M. (Updated: June 24, 2014 11:19 A.M.)
BETHLEHEM (Ma'an) -- The Palestinian Center for Human Rights on Sunday condemned the Israeli army's killing of a mentally disabled Palestinian man during a raid on al-Ain refugee camp the same day.

Israeli troops early Sunday raided the camp and killed Ahmad Said Suod Khalid, 27, as he was walking to a mosque for dawn prayers and refused orders to return home.

"The family of the victim said to a PCHR fieldworker that their son suffered mental problems and epilepsy," the rights group said in a statement.

"Around ten meters away from his house, a group of Israeli soldiers were raiding and searching houses when an Israeli soldier shouted at Ahmed to stop. However, he did not obey the orders, so the Israeli soldiers opened fire at him from a distance of around 30 meters. As a result, he was killed by 4 bullets to the abdomen, back, right thigh, and tight shoulder."

"PCHR strongly condemns this crime, which further proves the use of excessive force by Israeli forces against the Palestinian civilians in disregard for the civilians' lives," the statement said.

The report further stated that the ongoing Israeli military campaign in the West Bank was "collective punishment," constituting a war crime under international law.

Israeli forces have conducted nightly arrest and search raids throughout the West Bank following the disappearance of three teenagers from an area near the illegal settlement of Gush Etzion on June 12.

Six Palestinians have died, dozens have been injured, and over 400 have been arrested as a result of Israel's military campaign to find the youths.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2016