Thursday, Feb. 11
Latest News
  1. 16-year-old Palestinian shot dead during clashes in Hebron's al-Arrub
  2. Israeli forces blockade Bethlehem-area village after nearby stabbing
  3. Israeli forces detain 12 Palestinians across West Bank
  4. PA fails to cover Gaza student tuition fees pledged last year
  5. Knesset approves divisive 'NGO transparency bill' in first reading
  6. Israeli settler wounded in Gush Etzion stabbing
  7. Foreign press voices dismay as Israel alleges media bias
  8. Hamas fighter killed in week's 2nd deadly tunnel collapse
  9. PLO condemns Hamas military wing for execution in Gaza Strip
  10. 2 Palestinian girls detained after alleged stabbing attempts

Hebron losses '$10m daily' during siege

June 21, 2014 12:19 A.M. (Updated: June 21, 2014 9:12 P.M.)
HEBRON (Ma'an) -- Productivity in the Hebron marketplace has decreased 50 percent after a week of Israeli siege in search of three missing settlers, according to a Palestinian businessman.

Mohammad Nafeth al-Herbawi, the head of the Palestinian businessmen forum in Hebron, told Ma’an that the city suffers around $10 million in losses daily, while laborers are losing around $2 million.

“The continuation of the siege will affect the social, economic and daily situation of life for residents of the district,” al-Herbawi said.

“Twenty-thousand workers within the Green Line (Israel) are deprived of their work, and businessmen are deprived of traveling and even reaching other cities.”

He added that some companies and factories have been forced to release a large number of workers, which will lead to dire social conditions.

Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2016