Tuesday, May 26
Latest News
  1. Washington Post reporter stands trial in Iran for spying
  2. Austrian 14-year-old jailed on 'terrorism' charges
  3. Saudi beheads 88th person, exceeding last year's total
  4. Charter buys US giant Time Warner Cable in $78.7 billion deal
  5. Diplomat: France suspends security cooperation with Burundi
  6. Libya tribal chiefs meet in Cairo peace initiative
  7. Alleged UAE killer of American 'aware of her actions'
  8. Britain and Russia agree to resume talks on Syria
  9. Fierce fighting in Yemen as peace hopes fade
  10. Russia, Iran talks on S-300 missiles end in 'success'
  11. Washington Post reporter stands trial in Iran for spying
  12. Iran denies agreement on military site inspections
  13. Saudi Shiites prepare mass funeral for bombing victims
  14. Fierce fighting in Yemen as peace hopes fade
  15. Israel ex-PM Olmert sentenced to 8 months for corruption
  16. Iraq PM rebuts US criticism of security forces
  17. Syria regime 'launches 15 air raids around Palmyra'
  18. 'Beautiful Mind' mathematician John Nash killed in US car crash
  19. Report: Malaysia home minister says mass graves found
  20. Pentagon says Iraqi forces 'failed to fight' in Ramadi

PA: Israel imposing 'collective punishment' on Palestinian people

June 15, 2014 2:28 P.M. (Updated: June 15, 2014 8:45 P.M.)
RAMALLAH (Ma'an) -- The Palestinian Authority on Sunday condemned the Israeli arrest campaign across the West Bank and airstrikes against the Gaza Strip, denouncing the "collective punishment of the Palestinian people" by Israeli forces.

Spokesman for the Palestinian national consensus government Ehab Bessaiso on Sunday also reiterated Palestinian insistence that they have no responsibility for security in the settlements, as Israel continued assaults against Palestinians that began after the disappearance of three Israeli teenagers from the Gush Etzion settlement between Bethlehem and Hebron on Thursday.

"The Israeli government cannot hold the Palestinians responsible for security in occupied territories which are not under Palestinian sovereignty and which house dozens of settlements and outposts," Bessaiso said in a statement.

Bessaiso highlighted that the three youths went missing in the approximately 62 percent of the West Bank that is considered Area C and is under full Israeli control.

Bessaiso also said that the detention of 80 people across the West Bank and the bombing of Gaza overnight constitute "collective punishment against the entire Palestinian people," and called upon the "international community and all international human rights organizations to protect the Palestinian people against the Israeli escalation."

Bessaiso highlighted that even Palestinian prisoners in Israeli custody were being punished by Israel, through the banning of family visits and "other oppressive procedures," even as around 125 administrative detainees entered their 53rd day of a collective hunger strike.

Bessaiso also said that Israel had imposed a general closure on the Hebron area in the southern West Bank, leaving thousands of Palestinians under siege.

Earlier Sunday, Hamas denied Israeli allegations that their members were involved in the kidnapping of the three Jewish youths, calling the claims "stupid."

Overnight Sunday Israeli forces detained 80 Palestinians including a number of former ministers and top lawmakers and carried out airstrikes across the Gaza Strip, injuring a woman and a 15-year-old girl.

On Saturday, Netanyahu had said he held the Palestinian Authority responsible for the disappearance of the youths, while the PA has insisted it has no authority over the territory in which the youths disappeared.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015