Wednesday, Sept. 02
Latest News
  1. Palmyra temple destruction a 'crime against civilization'
  2. Saudi-led coalition air strikes in south Yemen kill 20
  3. Lebanon police ejecting protesters from ministry
  4. Libya car bomb wounds one, damages office of Eni firm
  5. UN envoy to meet with Libya's Tripoli parliament ahead of talks
  6. Border agency: Migrants using fake Syrian passports to enter EU
  7. Migrant trains arrive in Austria as crisis deepens
  8. Turkish court arrests British journalists on terror charges
  9. Locals: Boko Haram kills nearly 80 in NE Nigeria villages
  10. Austria smuggler crackdown as Europe divided over migrant crisis
  11. 'Largest ever' Med gas field found off Egypt
  12. Egypt muezzin suspended over 'Facebook prayer call'
  13. 3 Canadians, Pakistani, Nigerian among dead in Saudi fire
  14. 'A Sinner in Mecca' documents gay Muslim pilgrimage
  15. A year on, Yazidis so close yet so far from Iraq hub
  16. Delayed Egypt elections to start on October 17
  17. Blast at Syria's Palmyra prompts fears for famed temple
  18. 11 dead, dozens hurt in fire at Saudi oil giant housing complex
  19. Red Crescent: 7 bodies wash up on Libya beach
  20. Egypt elections to start on October 17

Netanyahu: Abbas responsible for safe return of kidnapped settlers

June 14, 2014 10:16 P.M. (Updated: June 15, 2014 5:14 P.M.)
TEL AVIV (AFP) -- Israel holds President Mahmoud Abbas and the Palestinian Authority responsible for the safety of three settlers snatched from the West Bank, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Saturday.

"I have ordered ... to demand from the Palestinian Authority, headed by Abu Mazen (Abbas) -- from whose territory the kidnappers came -- to do whatever necessary to help the hostages get home safely," Netanyahu said at a press conference at Israel's Defense Ministry in Tel Aviv.

"That is the Palestinian Authority's responsibility."

"Our boys were kidnapped by a terror group, undoubtedly," Netanyahu added, according to the Israeli news site Ynet.

"We are in the midst of a massive operation to find and return the three missing youths," Netnayahu told the press conference.

Israeli soldiers were deployed heavily in the Hebron district Saturday in a search for three missing teenagers presumed kidnapped from near the Gush Etzion settlement bloc.

A spokesperson for the PA security forces said Friday that the PA was "not responsible" for protecting settlers.

Adnan Dmeiri said he was unaware of any cooperation with Israel in the search for the settlers, adding that the area from which the settlers are thought to have been kidnapped is under full Israeli control.

Eyal Yifrach, 16, Gilad Shaaer, 19, and Naftali Frenkel, 16 disappeared Thursday night.

Ma'an staff contributed to this report.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015