Tuesday, Sept. 01
Latest News
  1. Palmyra temple destruction a 'crime against civilization'
  2. Saudi-led coalition air strikes in south Yemen kill 20
  3. Lebanon police ejecting protesters from ministry
  4. Libya car bomb wounds one, damages office of Eni firm
  5. UN envoy to meet with Libya's Tripoli parliament ahead of talks
  6. Border agency: Migrants using fake Syrian passports to enter EU
  7. Migrant trains arrive in Austria as crisis deepens
  8. Turkish court arrests British journalists on terror charges
  9. Locals: Boko Haram kills nearly 80 in NE Nigeria villages
  10. Austria smuggler crackdown as Europe divided over migrant crisis
  11. 'Largest ever' Med gas field found off Egypt
  12. Egypt muezzin suspended over 'Facebook prayer call'
  13. 3 Canadians, Pakistani, Nigerian among dead in Saudi fire
  14. 'A Sinner in Mecca' documents gay Muslim pilgrimage
  15. A year on, Yazidis so close yet so far from Iraq hub
  16. Delayed Egypt elections to start on October 17
  17. Blast at Syria's Palmyra prompts fears for famed temple
  18. 11 dead, dozens hurt in fire at Saudi oil giant housing complex
  19. Red Crescent: 7 bodies wash up on Libya beach
  20. Egypt elections to start on October 17

Tehran warned of new sandstorm as death toll hits 5

June 3, 2014 2:37 P.M. (Updated: June 4, 2014 12:19 P.M.)
TEHRAN (AFP) -- Iranian authorities warned Tuesday that a second sandstorm could hit Tehran, a day after freak weather killed five people in the capital.

Monday's huge sandstorm and record winds plunged Tehran into darkness for 15 minutes during rush hour and forced thousands to run for cover.

"One of the casualties, who was hospitalized after being hit by debris, lost his life due to the severe injuries," the official IRNA news agency reported Tuesday, raising the death toll to five.

The winds, as high as 70-80 miles per hour, leveled trees and swept other heavy material across streets and into the windscreens of cars as people headed home from work.

The news of the sandstorm and highest winds in 50 years hit the first page of capital's newspapers, along with criticism of forecasters for failing to predict or warn citizens of the approaching storm.

The surprise weather disrupted a ceremony for the national football team before they depart for the World Cup in Brazil, with President Hassan Rouhani cancelling his planned speech, leaving a 12,000-seat stadium largely empty.

Ahad Vazifeh, head of Tehran's weather forecasting and warnings unit, said his team had informed "relevant authorities" about the sandstorm. However, he said the timescale and wind speeds were not completely predictable.

His comments appeared to be the response for the anger in some media towards his department for failing to give adequate warnings.

But Mohammad Ali Aziz-Oghli, the city's chief forecaster, warned of another sandstorm hitting Tehran at about 3:00 pm, albeit not of the same strength. People should stay indoors, he told IRNA.

Power supplies were knocked out in at least 50,000 homes Monday, an electricity official said. The weather also smashed windows and caused telecommunication towers to topple and masonry to peel off buildings.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015