Wednesday, July 26
Latest News
  1. UN envoy calls on Fatah, Hamas, to reconcile to end Gaza’s suffering
  2. Amnesty slams Israeli police for ‘terrifying’ hospital raids
  3. Israel to destroy remains of previously demolished attacker's home
  4. Israeli forces detain 22 Palestinians, seize weapons in raids
  5. Israeli forces raid Palestinian home, turn it into military post
  6. Journalists, medics, and 10-year-old girl injured in Al-Aqsa clashes
  7. Israeli bulldozers level lands near northern Gaza border
  8. Bilal Diab sentenced to administrative detention
  9. Israel's high court rules to return bodies of Al-Aqsa assailants
  10. Israeli settlers attempt to take over Palestinian house in Hebron

Israel bans Muslim call to prayer in Hebron 53 times in May

June 1, 2014 3:14 P.M. (Updated: June 3, 2014 11:16 A.M.)
HEBRON (Ma'an) -- Israeli forces have forbidden mosque leaders from playing the call for prayer through loudspeakers at the Ibrahimi Mosque in Hebron 53 times in May under the pretext that it bothers nearby Jewish settlers, the Palestinian ministry of endowment said.

Hundreds of extremist Jewish settlers have taken over homes in Hebron's Old City, and Israeli authorities use their presence in the southern West Bank city as an excuse to limit the ability of the mosque to play the call five times a day, according to Islamic custom.

The ministry of endowment's Hebron office said in a statement that banning call for prayer "is a clear violation of freedom of worship which all international conventions maintain."

In April, Israeli authorities prevented the mosque from playing the call to prayer 60 times.

More than 500,000 Israeli settlers live in settlements across the West Bank and East Jerusalem, in contravention of international law.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2017