Saturday, March 23
Latest News
  1. Foreign Affairs: 'Decision to annex occupied Golan is null'
  2. Two slain Palestinians laid to rest in Gaza
  3. Israeli settlers attack Palestinian homes in Hebron
  4. Palestinian detained, clashes erupt during Israeli raids in West Bank
  5. 2 Palestinians killed, dozens injured in weekly Gaza protests
  6. Dozens of Palestinians shot, injured in weekly Gaza protests
  7. Thousands join 7th annual Free Movement Palestine Marathon
  8. Israeli warplane targets, injures 2 Palestinians in Gaza
  9. UNHRC adopts resolution to strengthen UN presence in Palestine
  10. Abu Rudeineh slams Trump's Golan Heights tweets

Israeli plan for Jewish Negev town 'racist'

Nov. 12, 2013 1:02 A.M. (Updated: Nov. 14, 2013 10:23 A.M.)
JERUSALEM (AFP) -- An Israeli human rights organization on Monday accused the government of promoting "racist" policies in its decision to establish a Jewish town in the place of a Bedouin village.

The cabinet on Sunday approved the establishment of "two new communities in the Negev" in southern Israel, naming them as Kesif and Hiran.

But according to Suhad Bishara, director of the land and planning unit at Israeli Arab rights group Adalah, "in order to build Hiran it will accelerate the demolition of the unrecognised Umm el-Hieran village in the Negev and evict its residents."

Bishara said this reflected a "racist policy," noting "it is a residential area but the state is telling the Bedouins that they are unfit for this land and will bring in Jewish residents instead."

She said the government had previously announced its intention to evict the Bedouin and build a town at the site in 2002, a decision being challenged in court with a hearing scheduled for Nov. 20.

Bishara charged that establishing new Jewish towns in the Negev while evicting the incumbent Bedouin residents showed that the government was motivated primarily by "racist policies" against Arab Bedouin citizens.

She called on the authorities to engage in dialogue.

The Israeli housing and construction ministry, which is responsible for implementing the programme, did not respond to a request for comment on Monday.

A bill calling for the relocation of 30,000-40,000 Bedouin, the demolition of about 40 villages and confiscation of more than 700,000 dunams of Negev land was approved by the government in January and by parliament in a first reading in June.

But it has to pass two more readings in parliament before becoming law.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015