Wednesday, Feb. 20
Latest News
  1. Israeli forces assault Palestinian worshipers at Al-Aqsa
  2. Israeli forces injure protesters during Gaza naval protest
  3. Israel confiscates 4000-square-meters of tiles in Nablus
  4. Israel demolishes 8 Palestinian-owned structures in Jordan Valley
  5. Israeli forces raid Issawiya mosque, take down Palestinian flag
  6. EU slams Israel’s decision to deduct from PA tax revenues
  7. Palestinian Cabinet condemns Israeli decision to block UNSC visit
  8. Israel reopens Beit El checkpoint after 2-month closure
  9. Israeli forces reopen Al-Aqsa gate
  10. Israeli forces detain 3 Palestinian women from Al-Aqsa

Clashes in Hebron as hundreds attend funeral for slain Palestinian

Nov. 8, 2013 6:36 P.M. (Updated: Nov. 9, 2013 9:35 A.M.)
BETHLEHEM (Ma'an) -- Hundreds of mourners attended the funeral procession of a Hebron man killed on Friday by Israeli forces at a checkpoint near Bethlehem.

Anas Fouad al-Atrash, 23, was shot dead at the Container checkpoint by Israeli border guards.

The funeral procession began at the Abu Eisheh mosque and headed towards the al-Shuhada cemetery, where al-Atrash was laid to rest.

A number of local leaders, including deputy governor of Hebron Marwan Sultan, participated in the funeral.

"We demand the formation of an investigation committee to find out the details of the death of Anas al-Atrash," Fatah leader in Hebron Kifah al-Uweiwi told Ma'an.

"The Israeli government wants to terrorize Palestinians and force its settlement policies," he added. "Palestinian negotiators must put an end to this policy."

After the funeral, clashes broke out between Palestinians and Israeli forces in the Bab al-Zawiya neighborhood and at the main entrance to al-Shuhada Street.

Palestinians threw rocks and empty bottles at Israeli soldiers, who responded by firing tear gas, stun grenades, and rubber-coated steel bullets.

An Israeli army spokeswoman said 50 Palestinians were hurling rocks at Israeli soldiers, who responded with riot dispersal means.

Ten firebombs were also thrown at soldiers, she added.

Israeli police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said the incident occurred around midnight, when a man ran at a border police officer with a knife, prompting him to open fire.

However, his family told Ma'an that Israeli forces asked him to get out of the car, before shooting him dead.

"The Israeli army assassinated Anas after they forced him to get out of the car," his family told Ma'an.

Palestinian security sources told Ma'an that the military liaison office will form a committee to investigate al-Atrash's death.

They will ask Israel to check footage from security cameras positioned at the checkpoint.

The internationally recognized Palestinian territories of which the West Bank and East Jerusalem form a part have been occupied by the Israeli military since 1967.

Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015