Friday, July 31
Latest News
  1. Egypt, Saudi sign pact to boost military ties
  2. IMF approves $1.24 bn Iraq emergency lifeline
  3. Humanitarian chief: Yemen blockade 'killing' civilians
  4. Turkey probes Kurdish leader, ramps up air strikes against PKK
  5. Israel PM calls Palestinian toddler death 'act of terrorism'
  6. PLO holds Israel government 'fully responsible' for toddler's death
  7. IMF approves $1.24 bn Iraq emergency lifeline
  8. Egypt, Saudi sign pact to boost military ties
  9. Embassy: US delivers F-16s to Egypt ahead of Kerry visit
  10. In Iraq bastions, PKK braces for new war with Turkey
  11. Five dead in attacks as Turkey battles PKK
  12. Pakistan says second round of Afghan-Taliban talks postponed
  13. Humanitarian chief: Yemen blockade 'killing' civilians
  14. OPEC chief says oil cartel 'not ready' to cut production
  15. Syrian Kurds refine oil for themselves for first time
  16. Deadly car bomb hits Yemen capital as fighting rages in south
  17. Army: Nigeria appoints new head of multinational force on Boko Haram
  18. Analysts: Allies tolerate Turkey's double game to boost IS fight
  19. Afghan Taliban unaware of peace talks, no comment on Mullah Omar
  20. At least 12 dead as truck hits pilgrims in Mexico

Egypt: 794 Gaza tunnels destroyed so far this year

Oct. 5, 2013 12:48 P.M. (Updated: Oct. 6, 2013 5:23 P.M.)
CAIRO (Ma’an) -- Egyptian forces have demolished 1,055 smuggling tunnels under the borders with the Gaza Strip since January 2011, according to the commander of the Egyptian border guard forces.

Maj. Gen. Ahmad Ibrahim highlighted that 794 tunnels were destroyed in 2013.

Speaking to a Ma'an in el-Arish, Ibrahim said military engineering services and military intelligence of the Egyptian army started to design detection systems to be installed along the land borders in northeast Sinai and off the coast.

These systems, he said, will use modern technologies to detect smuggling tunnels so the army can destroy them.

Ibrahim applauded the Sinai tribes for cooperating with the army in its efforts to fight militant groups in the area. He added that the Egyptian authorities started to collect information about residents whose homes sustained damage during the latest crackdown against Jihadists in Rafah in order to compensate them.

Additionally, the army plans to create a “safe zone” in Rafah through which the Egyptian border guards will be able to effectively monitor and secure border areas.

"Minister of Defense Abdul-Fattah Sisi has given orders to reimburse residents whose homes sustained damage, or will be used for the purpose of creating a safe zone, either by paying them in cash or giving them new houses in modern neighborhoods," according to the commander.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015