Sunday, Jan. 20
Latest News
  1. Israeli forces detain 5 minors from Tuqu
  2. 43 Palestinians injured during Gaza's weekly protests
  3. 2 Palestinians injured, minor detained in Kafr Qaddum march
  4. Lion cubs die in extreme weather conditions in Gaza's zoo
  5. USAID to end all Palestinian projects on Jan. 31st
  6. Israeli forces detain Palestinian after crossing Gaza border fence
  7. Israeli settlers chop down dozens of olive trees near Ramallah
  8. Israel blows up house of Palestinian prisoner in Yatta
  9. Israeli bulldozers raze lands in southern Gaza
  10. Israeli forces raid Al-Aqsa compound, mosques inside

Jenin man killed in 'cold blood', family says

Sept. 17, 2013 2:31 P.M. (Updated: Sept. 18, 2013 1:56 P.M.)
JENIN (Ma'an) -- A man killed by Israeli forces in Jenin on Tuesday was executed in cold blood after confirming his identity to soldiers, family members said.

Islam al-Tubasi, 22, died from gunshot wounds during an Israeli raid on Jenin refugee camp, sources said.

Al-Tubasi's brother, Ibrahim, told Ma'an that there was an explosion at the family home at around 6 a.m.

"I was sleeping on the second floor. Our house is a three-story building. I was surprised when I saw Israeli undercover forces, dressed in black, raiding the second floor. They assaulted me, and asked me my first name. When I told them my name is Ibrahim, they held me inside the bathroom on the second floor. They assaulted my mother who was also on the second floor," Ibrahim told Ma'an.

Another brother, Mustafa, said that after Israeli forces shot Islam in the leg they forced him to go to the roof to identity him. The soldiers then dragged Islam's body downstairs and Mustafa says he heard several more gunshots.

"I am sure that Islam was shot dead before he was transferred to hospital via military ambulance," he added.

Kamal al-Tubasi said that Israeli forces shot Islam in the leg as he lay in bed, before dragging him downstairs and executing him.

Witnesses in the camp confirmed that they saw Israeli special units enter the building and go onto the roof, where Islam was sleeping.

Clashes broke out with local residents following the shooting of al-Tubasi, with dozens of camp residents injured by stun grenades, tear gas and live fire.

Salah Nael Ghazzawi, 13, was shot in the leg and taken to hospital for treatment.

Israel's army said in a statement that shots were fired at Israeli soldiers while arresting a "wanted terror activist."

"The wanted suspect was injured, evacuated by military forces for further treatment and later died of his wounds in an Israeli Hospital," the statement said.

Local sources said that Israeli forces killed one of al-Tubasi's brothers in 2006. He was allegedly active in Islamic Jihad.

The killing of Islam al-Tubasi is the latest in a string of violent incidents in refugee camps in recent weeks.

On August 26, Israeli security forces shot dead three people and wounded 19 during fierce clashes that lasted for hours in the Qalandiya camp.

The week before, Israeli troops shot dead one man and wounded two during an operation to arrest an alleged Palestinian militant in Jenin camp.

Last week soldiers and Palestinians exchanged fire at the Balata camp, in Nablus, as troops escorted Jewish worshippers to a to a flashpoint shrine there.

There were no fatalities in that incident, but four Palestinians were wounded, two by live fire and two by rubber-coated bullets , Palestinian medical sources said.

Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015