Tuesday, June 30
Latest News
  1. Egypt's Sisi pledges tougher laws after prosecutor killing
  2. Tunisia admits was not prepared for beach attack
  3. Orange reaches a deal for split with Israel's Partner after spat
  4. IS car bomb kills 28 in Yemen capital Sanaa
  5. IS beheads two Syrian women 'for the first time'
  6. Kerry says 'too soon' to tell if Iran deal sealed
  7. Bomb targets Egypt state prosecutor convoy in Cairo
  8. UAE woman 'sentenced to death for killing US teacher'
  9. Tunisia to boost security, arm tourist police after attack
  10. Family pleads for American's release on margins of Iran talks
  11. Iran judiciary chief undercuts president over concerts
  12. Monitor: Syria rebel attack on Damascus kills 4
  13. Libya rivals closer to deal after first face-to-face meet
  14. Solar Impulse takes off on delayed Pacific flight
  15. Tsipras announces temporarily bank closure, capital controls
  16. EU: All sides showing 'political will' for Iran deal
  17. Rockets from Yemen kill Saudi border guard
  18. Iraq announces arrest of senior Saddam-era official
  19. Report: Australian IS fighter 'still alive' after drone strike
  20. Kuwait Shiite mosque bomber was Saudi national

PLO official says talks could 'collapse' over settlements

Aug. 13, 2013 4:00 P.M. (Updated: Aug. 15, 2013 12:33 P.M.)
RAMALLAH (AFP) -- Middle East peace talks could "collapse" due to continuing Israeli settlement expansion, a senior Palestinian official warned Tuesday, on the eve of the scheduled resumption of the fragile process.

"Settlement expansion goes against the US administration's pledges and threatens to cause the negotiations' collapse," Yasser Abed Rabbo told AFP.

The comments came after Israeli authorities approved the construction of a total of more than 2,000 settlement units in east Jerusalem and the West Bank in the days leading up to Wednesday's scheduled new round of direct talks between the Israelis and Palestinians.

The approval on Sunday of 793 settlement housing units in annexed east Jerusalem and 394 elsewhere in the West Bank -- followed by Tuesday's separate announcement of a further 942 in east Jerusalem -- hiked up tension ahead of the meeting of Israeli and Palestinian negotiators.

"This settlement expansion is unprecedented," Abed Rabbo said. "It threatens to make talks fail even before they've started."

US Secretary of State John Kerry during a visit to Colombia on Monday urged the Palestinians "not to react adversely" to the weekend Israeli settlement announcement.

Kerry, who took the lead in securing last month's resumption of peace talks after a three-year hiatus, stressed the need for the two sides to return to the negotiating table as planned on Wednesday in Jerusalem.

The last peace talks broke down in 2010 on the issue of settlement building.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015