Wednesday, Sept. 18
Latest News
  1. Palestinian goverment: 26 million in development of ministries
  2. Rudeineh: Washington us unable to achieve anything by itself
  3. US: “No plan for unilateral annexation by Israel of the West Bank"
  4. Cluster of incendiary balloons land in southern Israel
  5. Palestinian FM condemns Germany's vote to define BDS as 'anti-Semitic'
  6. Israeli forces forcibly evict Muslim worshipers from Al-Aqsa
  7. Israeli forces detain 14-year-old Palestinian near Ramallah
  8. Erekat: Deviation from peace terms of reference doomed to fail
  9. Iceland's Hatari shocks Eurovision with Palestinian flags
  10. UNRWA: 4 Palestinian children killed in attack on Syria refugee camp

PA official: Settlement plans show Israel not serious

Aug. 11, 2013 5:18 P.M. (Updated: Aug. 13, 2013 1:24 P.M.)
JERUSALEM (AFP) -- Israel's new plans for settlement construction announced Sunday showed it was "not serious" in efforts to negotiate peace, a Palestinian Authority official said.

The tenders for over 1,000 homes in the occupied West Bank and annexed East Jerusalem were proof that Israel "was not serious in the negotiations," PA negotiator Mohammad Shtayyeh said in a statement.

He charged that Israel "aims through this condensed settlement activity to destroy the basis of the solution called for by the international community, which aims to establish a Palestinian state on the 1967 borders."

Shtayyeh said the new tenders were "conditions and new facts on the ground" that Israel was setting in order "to determine the negotiations in whichever way suits it best."

The PA negotiator called for Washington, sponsoring the talks, to take "a firm and clear position to rein in this Israeli attack on the West Bank and especially Jerusalem."

Israel's housing ministry said earlier said it would be publishing tenders for 793 units in east Jerusalem and 394 elsewhere in the West Bank.

The US State Department said last week that Israeli and Palestinian negotiators would resume talks in Jerusalem on Wednesday on ending their decades-old conflict.

They resumed direct negotiations in Washington last month, ending a three-year hiatus after painstaking US mediation. The last talks in 2010 broke down over the issue of settlement building.
Most Read
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015