Saturday, Aug. 29
Latest News
  1. Europe ministers want multinational patrols on cross-border trains
  2. Hungary says anti-migrant barrier along Serb border complete
  3. Lebanon urged to create commission on disappearances
  4. Coalition pounds Yemen rebels, sets sights on capital
  5. French thieves posed as Gulf tourists to steal hotel safes
  6. Libya shipwreck toll rises to 111, dozens missing
  7. Turkish planes join anti-IS coalition in Syria raid for first time
  8. Canada calls for Egypt's 'immediate' return of jailed journalist
  9. Austrian tragedy suspects remanded in custody til Sept 29
  10. Chad executes 10 Boko Haram suspects by firing squad
  11. New migrant truck found in Austria, three children hospitalized
  12. Brief ceasefire between Syria regime, rebels ends
  13. Egypt court hands Al-Jazeera reporters three years in jail
  14. In first, headscarf-wearing woman named minister in Turkey
  15. French journalists charged with bid to blackmail Morocco king
  16. US Republican says Iran deal makes world 'less safe'
  17. US to Iran: Release Hekmati from 'unjust detention'
  18. Pentagon: Militant hacker killed in US air strike was recruite
  19. UN: Satellite images confirm Palmyra temple destruction
  20. UN envoy urges speedy Libya talks to curb migrant crisis

Egypt to try 26 alleged militants for plotting attacks

Feb. 9, 2013 6:31 P.M. (Updated: Feb. 12, 2013 10:41 A.M.)
CAIRO (Reuters) -- Twenty-six alleged Islamist militants, including two former military officers, will stand trial on terrorism charges, accused of planning attacks against the Egyptian state, the official news agency MENA said on Saturday.

The state security prosecutor said they had formed an extremist organization that advocated sedition against public authorities and called for jihad against public servants employed at state institutions.

"Investigation by national security revealed the defendants planned to carry out terrorist attacks inside Egypt during Eid al Adha," MENA reported, referring to the Muslim festival which falls in October.

"As a result, security officials raided their cells simultaneously," it said. The suspects, who included one Tunisian, were also charged with possession of weapons and explosives.

MENA said Taha Abdel Salam, one of the two former officers, was accused of being a important recruiter for the group, and had been suspended from the army in 2002 for having links to militants.

Two years after the revolution that toppled president Hosni Mubarak, Egypt's Islamist rulers are contending with a rise in militant activity, especially in the Sinai region that borders Israel and the Gaza Strip, while struggling to contain street protests that have frequently turned violent.

Domestic turmoil and the smuggling of weapons from Libya after the fall of dictator Moammar Gadhafi have created a security gap. In August, 16 Egyptian border guards were killed in Islamist militant attacks in Sinai.

MENA said the defendants in the latest case belonged to suspected cells based in Cairo suburbs, and lived in rented apartments under false names. In October, one suspect was killed when he opened fire on security forces raiding militant cells in the suburb of Nasser City.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015