Thursday, July 02
Latest News
  1. Saudi Prince Alwaleed pledges $32 bn fortune to charity
  2. Police: 6 killed in Burundi gun battle
  3. 36 soldiers and civilians, 38 militants killed in Egypt's Sinai
  4. Liberia announces two more confirmed Ebola cases
  5. Tunisia identifies all 38 victims of beach massacre, 30 British
  6. Iran nuclear talks deadline extended to July 7
  7. HRW urges Gulf states to follow Kuwait on maid rights
  8. Medics: rebel fire kills 20 civilians in Yemen's Aden
  9. Monitor: Syria Kurds regain control of Tal Abyad after IS attack
  10. NGO: in first, IS beheads two Syria women for 'sorcery'
  11. UN envoy to brief council on war in Syria
  12. Family: Australian killed fighting for Kurds against IS in Syria
  13. Monitor: IS re-enters Syria's Tal Abyad, takes district
  14. Egypt's Sisi pledges tougher laws after prosecutor killing
  15. Tunisia admits was not prepared for beach attack
  16. Orange reaches a deal for split with Israel's Partner after spat
  17. IS car bomb kills 28 in Yemen capital Sanaa
  18. IS beheads two Syrian women 'for the first time'
  19. Kerry says 'too soon' to tell if Iran deal sealed
  20. Bomb targets Egypt state prosecutor convoy in Cairo

Bulgaria says Hezbollah behind fatal bus bombing

Feb. 5, 2013 4:28 P.M. (Updated: Feb. 7, 2013 11:07 A.M.)
By: Tsvetelia Tsolova
SOFIA, Bulgaria (Reuters) -- Bulgaria accused the Lebanese movement Hezbollah on Tuesday of carrying out a bomb attack on a bus in the Black Sea city of Burgas that killed five Israeli tourists last July.

The conclusions of the Bulgarian investigation, citing a clear connection to an attack on European Union soil, may open the way for the EU to join the United States in branding the Iranian-backed Hezbollah a terrorist organization.

Three people were involved in the attack, two of whom had genuine passports from Australia and Canada, Bulgarian Interior Minister Tsvetan Tsvetanov told reporters after Sofia's national security council discussed the investigation.

"There is data showing the financing and connection between Hezbollah and the two suspects," Tsvetanov said.

"What can be established as a well-grounded assumption is that the two persons whose real identity has been determined belonged to the military wing of Hezbollah."

Israel blamed the attack in Burgas -- which killed five Israeli tourists, their Bulgarian driver and the bomber -- on Iran and Hezbollah.

Iran has denied responsibility and accused arch-enemy Israel of plotting and carrying out the blast. Hezbollah, designated by the United States as a terrorist organization in the 1990s, has not publicly responded to charges that it played a role.

The Netherlands considers Hezbollah a terrorist group and said in August that the EU should also do so, which would mean Brussels could act to freeze Hezbollah assets in Europe.

Britain reserves the designation for Hezbollah's armed wing but other EU member states, which have blacklisted Hamas, have resisted US and Israeli pressure to do the same to Hezbollah.

Bulgaria, a member of the EU and NATO, has repeatedly said the bombing was plotted elsewhere and carried out by foreigners. Even so, that attack stoked tension in a country where Muslims make up some 15 percent of the 7.3 million population.

All three people involved in the attack had fake US driving licenses that were printed in Lebanon, Tsvetanov said. The two suspects with Canadian and Australian passports had been living in Lebanon, one since 2006 and the other since 2010.

No one has been arrested in connection with the attack and Tsvetanov said he hoped Australia, Canada and Lebanon would cooperate with the continuing investigation.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015