Tuesday, May 26
Latest News
  1. Iran denies agreement on military site inspections
  2. Saudi Shiites prepare mass funeral for bombing victims
  3. Fierce fighting in Yemen as peace hopes fade
  4. Israel ex-PM Olmert sentenced to 8 months for corruption
  5. Iraq PM rebuts US criticism of security forces
  6. Syria regime 'launches 15 air raids around Palmyra'
  7. 'Beautiful Mind' mathematician John Nash killed in US car crash
  8. Report: Malaysia home minister says mass graves found
  9. Pentagon says Iraqi forces 'failed to fight' in Ramadi
  10. EU says Russia's NGO law is a 'worrying step'
  11. Yemen president insists on rebel pullback for UN talks
  12. Libyans arrest 600 Europe-bound illegal migrants
  13. Syria regime helicopter comes down in Aleppo province
  14. Saudi Shiites refuse to be provoked by suicide bombing
  15. Fresh air strikes and ground fighting in Yemen
  16. Saudi identifies dead suicide bomber, confirms link to IS
  17. Burundi activists suspend govt talks after opposition figure murdered
  18. Report: Malaysia home minister says mass graves found
  19. UN: Iranian aid cargo boat for Yemen offloaded in Djibouti
  20. Commanders: Iraq forces attack IS east of Ramadi

Syria sends ground forces to try to seize Sunni areas of Homs

Jan. 25, 2013 3:18 A.M. (Updated: Jan. 26, 2013 1:49 A.M.)
By: Khaled Yacoub Oweis
AMMAN (Reuters) -- The Syrian army has stepped up an offensive on opposition Sunni Muslim strongholds in the central city of Homs, bringing in ground forces to try to secure passage for its forces through a major road junction, opposition sources said on Friday.

Around 15,000 Sunni civilians were trapped on the southern and western edge of the city on Friday near the intersection of Syria's main north-south and east-west arteries, crucial to let President Bashar Assad's forces travel between Damascus and the Mediterranean coast, opposition campaigners in Homs said.

They said army rocket, artillery and aerial bombardment had killed at last 120 civilians and 30 opposition fighters since Sunday.

Syrian authorities have banned most independent media, making it difficult to verify such reports on the ground.

The sources also said shabbiha militiamen loyal to Assad had killed more than 100 Sunni men, women and children when they overran a nearby area 10 days ago.

Activist Nader al-Husseini, speaking by phone from the western sector of Homs, said at least 10,000 shabbiha had been brought from the coastal city of Tartous to back up the regular army.

"They go in infantry formations behind the soldiers and their specialty is looting and killing civilians," he said, adding that among dozens killed by the shabbiha were a family of five in the village of Naqira.

Husseini said 100 wounded civilians were trapped in Homs' western neighborhood of Kafar Aya and that the Free Syrian Army rebels had tried to negotiate a deal to evacuate them but failed.

Mostly Sunni Homs, a commercial and agricultural hub 140 km north of Damascus, has been at the heart of the uprising and armed insurgency against Assad and his establishment, composed mostly of Alawites, who follow an offshoot of Shiite Islam and comprise about 10 percent of the population.

The nearly two-year-old conflict has now killed an estimated 60,000 people.

Syrian authorities have not commented directly on the latest offensive, but official media have in the past referred to the need to 'cleanse' the city of what they described as terrorists who were terrorizing peaceful neighborhoods.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015