Saturday, July 22
Latest News
  1. Jerusalemites observe strike in mourning for slain Palestinians
  2. Israeli forces detain Palestinian from Tuqu during military raid
  3. Israel detains 6 Palestinians, suppress protests in Jerusalem
  4. Abbas suspends contacts with Israel
  5. Israeli army raids, seals hometown of Palestinian assailant
  6. At least 2 Israelis killed in settlement stabbing, assailant shot
  7. Palestinian, Israeli, foreign officials express concerns over Al-Aqsa
  8. Palestinian shot and killed in Abu Dis clashes
  9. Two Palestinians shot, killed in East Jerusalem clashes
  10. Palestinian teenager shot, killed in East Jerusalem clashes: medics

Governor: Nablus gunmen hand themselves in to PA custody

Jan. 18, 2013 10:21 A.M. (Updated: Jan. 19, 2013 8:47 P.M.)
BETHLEHEM (Ma’an) -- Ten Palestinian gunmen turned themselves in to Palestinian Authority security forces in the northern West Bank on Thursday evening, according to the regional governor.

The group, from Balata refugee camp in Nablus, are being held in Junaid prison and will face charges, Nablus governor Jibrin al-Bakri told Ma'an.

But he said there had been a deal with the group which led to their surrender, without elaborating.

Earlier Thursday, President Mahmoud Abbas instructed security services to intensify their efforts to maintain security and stressed that the government has a monopoly on force.

Over the past week, gunmen claiming affiliation to Fatah's military wing held protests in Nablus' Balata refugee camp and the Jenin camp.

They say they are protesting confiscation of their weapons by Palestinian Authority security forces and detention of group members.

The protesters call themselves resistance fighters who support the president, targeting blame for the security crackdown on PA security officials. Fatah's military wing officially disbanded in the aftermath of the second intifada.

Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2017