Saturday, April 25
Latest News
  1. US: Russia failing to fully implement Ukraine ceasefire
  2. Kerry urges Yemen rebels and their allies to enter talks
  3. Ex-Yemen leader urges rebel allies to heed UN, pull back
  4. Iraq lacks DNA results to test body of 'Saddam deputy'
  5. Family: Syria's sacked political spy chief dead
  6. Officials: 14 Somali, Afghan immigrants killed by train in Macedonia
  7. UNICEF: At least 115 children killed in Yemen since March 26
  8. Athens stocks jump 4.4% on hopes of EU deal
  9. EU clears 19 genetically modified products
  10. Seismologists: Strong earthquake rattles New Zealand
  11. EU says progress 'not sufficient' for Greece debt deal
  12. World leaders join silence at ceremony marking Armenian genocide
  13. Jordan's crown prince at UN takes on militant 'dark world'
  14. US officials: Iranian ships turn back from Yemen
  15. Pakistan PM affirms Saudi 'solidarity' despite Yemen snub
  16. Three British plane spotters released in UAE
  17. UK regulator fines Deutsche Bank $340 mn over Libor
  18. Saudi tightens mall security after alert
  19. Markit: Eurozone business activity slows in April
  20. France condemns 'shocking' Indonesia failings on death row case

Israel charges Tel Aviv bus bomb suspect

Dec. 19, 2012 12:28 A.M. (Updated: Dec. 20, 2012 5:37 A.M.)
TEL AVIV (Reuters) -- Israel charged a Palestinian citizen of Israel on Wednesday over a bomb explosion on a Tel Aviv bus during Israel's November military offensive in the Gaza Strip, the Justice Ministry said.

The bus was driving close to Israel's defense ministry complex when the bomb went off on Nov. 21, wounding 15 people.

Mohammed Mafarja, 18, is accused of planting the bomb on behalf of Hamas, the Islamist group which rules Gaza, to boost their cause during the conflict with Israel.

Hamas praised the bombing but did not claim responsibility.

Israel launched an offensive against Hamas and other Gaza militant factions on Nov. 14 with the declared aim of stopping their rocket fire into its territory. Some 170 Palestinians and six Israelis were killed in the fighting that lasted eight days.

Three Palestinians from the Israeli-occupied West Bank were arrested along with Mafarja last month and are still in custody, a police spokesman said. They are suspected of recruiting the teenager to carry out the bombing.

Mafarja, according to the charges, notified his handlers when the bomb was in place on the commuter bus and they then detonated the device with a mobile phone.

No trial date was set and Mafarja's lawyer asked for three weeks to study the charge sheet. He said that the defendant may not have intended to blow up the bus.

"It appears that he did not know that the content of the bag would lead to such a result," lawyer Ihab Jaljouli told reporters at the Tel Aviv District Court.
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015