Sunday, April 26
Latest News
  1. Deutsche Bank Q1 profits fall 50% over $2.5 bn rate fixing fine
  2. Witnesses: 2 protestors shot dead in Burundi capital
  3. Small groups of protestors, police clash in Burundi capital
  4. Clashes rage in Yemen as calls for peace talks grow
  5. EU AgenPolice arrest 26 across Europe in horsemeat scandal
  6. Home ministry: At least 114 killed in Nepal quake
  7. US: Russia failing to fully implement Ukraine ceasefire
  8. Kerry urges Yemen rebels and their allies to enter talks
  9. Ex-Yemen leader urges rebel allies to heed UN, pull back
  10. Iraq lacks DNA results to test body of 'Saddam deputy'
  11. Family: Syria's sacked political spy chief dead
  12. Officials: 14 Somali, Afghan immigrants killed by train in Macedonia
  13. UNICEF: At least 115 children killed in Yemen since March 26
  14. Athens stocks jump 4.4% on hopes of EU deal
  15. EU clears 19 genetically modified products
  16. Seismologists: Strong earthquake rattles New Zealand
  17. EU says progress 'not sufficient' for Greece debt deal
  18. World leaders join silence at ceremony marking Armenian genocide
  19. Jordan's crown prince at UN takes on militant 'dark world'
  20. US officials: Iranian ships turn back from Yemen

PA 'hopes to continue basic services' amid financial crisis

Dec. 18, 2012 3:32 P.M. (Updated: Dec. 19, 2012 12:40 P.M.)
BETHLEHEM (Ma'an) -- The Palestinian Authority on Tuesday urged immediate action to prevent the government's collapse, and said it hoped to continue providing basic services.

At its weekly cabinet meeting, the government said it would remain on call until further notice in order to find a solution to the financial crisis, which has provoked mass public sector strikes this week.

The government reiterated Prime Minister Salam Fayyad's appeal this week for Palestinians to boycott Israeli products in response to their seizure of the PA's tax revenues, around $100 million each month.

The cabinet also called for immediate transferal of the so-called Arab safety net, a monthly payment of $100 million agreed at the Arab League last week to cover the government's expenses.

Ministers noted that the monthly shortfall of the government, which was hit by multiple donor cuts, totals $240 million and said it hoped the Arab League would increase the safety net.

They said the government was grateful to civil servants for their understanding. The government employees union announced a mass strike beginning Tuesday until the end of the week after their salaries were not paid.

"The Cabinet also reaffirmed its understanding of the difficult circumstances resulting from this crisis and expressed its hope in the continuation of provision of basic services to the citizens, especially in the education and health sectors," the government statement said.
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015