Friday, Oct. 09
Latest News
  1. Army: Israeli moderately injured in Afula stab attack by Palestinian
  2. Israeli forces kill Palestinian in Shufat refugee camp raid
  3. Clashes erupt at Bethlehem's northern entrance
  4. Police: Israeli soldier stabbed in Tel Aviv
  5. Police: Palestinian detained after Israeli stabbed in Jerusalem
  6. Israeli media: Palestinian shot near Jerusalem after car attack
  7. Police: Palestinian stabs Israelis in Petah Tikva, arrested at scene
  8. 84 Palestinians injured by rubber bullets in West Bank clashes
  9. Israeli forces raid home of Jerusalem stab suspect
  10. Reports: Palestinian killed after stabbing soldier in Kiryat Gat
  11. Israeli media: Palestinian shot dead after stabbing Israeli
  12. 2 Palestinians sustain injuries in Dar Salah clashes
  13. Residents of Majdal Bani Fadil prevent settler attack overnight
  14. Jordan MP's son 'carried out Iraq suicide attack'
  15. 15 Palestinians injured at Qalandiya checkpoint, 5 with live fire
  16. Palestinian shot, critically injured during clashes in Beit Hanina
  17. 2 Palestinians shot, injured during clashes near el-Bireh
  18. Palestinian boy, 12, dies from injures after being shot in Aida camp
  19. Israeli forces clash with, injure Palestinians near al-Quds University
  20. Yemen loyalists say they now control all of key straight

Israel approves 1,500 more settler homes in East Jerusalem

Dec. 17, 2012 7:52 P.M. (Updated: Dec. 18, 2012 4:38 P.M.)
JERUSALEM (Reuters) -- Israel approved plans to build 1,500 more Jewish settler homes in East Jerusalem on Monday, an official said, days after provoking international protests against a project for another 3,000 such homes on land it captured in the 1967 Six-Day War.

Washington had condemned the latest plans, for ultra-Orthodox neighborhood Ramat Shlomo, when they were published during a 2010 visit by US Vice President Joe Biden.

Palestinians see the settlements as obstacles to achieving independent statehood. The settlements have been condemned by many countries, and the latest project is slated to be built on a portion of West Bank land Israel annexed as part of Jerusalem, in a move never recognized internationally.

"We condemn in the strongest possible terms these Israeli actions and the determination of Israel to continue expanding settlements and in the process undermining the two-state solution," said senior Palestinian official Saeb Erekat.

"These are very dangerous and alarming steps. The Israeli government is showing its determination to contravene the will of the international community," the top peace negotiator said.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu pledged last week to build at least 3,000 more settler homes on West Bank land as an expression of Israel's objections to a United Nations vote last month recognizing Palestinian statehood.

Those plans led to a string of Israeli diplomats summoned for reprimands across Europe.

Israeli Interior Ministry spokeswoman, Efrat Orbach, said on Monday a district planning commission "gave preliminary approval for" the Ramat Shlomo project which must pass a series of bureaucratic decisions before construction may actually begin.

Israeli and Palestinian peace talks have been frozen since late 2010, largely due to a dispute over the settlements, which the International Court of Justice in The Hague has ruled as illegal.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015