Thursday, Feb. 11
Latest News
  1. 16-year-old Palestinian shot dead during clashes in Hebron's al-Arrub
  2. Israeli forces blockade Bethlehem-area village after nearby stabbing
  3. Israeli forces detain 12 Palestinians across West Bank
  4. PA fails to cover Gaza student tuition fees pledged last year
  5. Knesset approves divisive 'NGO transparency bill' in first reading
  6. Israeli settler wounded in Gush Etzion stabbing
  7. Foreign press voices dismay as Israel alleges media bias
  8. Hamas fighter killed in week's 2nd deadly tunnel collapse
  9. PLO condemns Hamas military wing for execution in Gaza Strip
  10. 2 Palestinian girls detained after alleged stabbing attempts

Qatar-funded reconstruction projects launched in Gaza

Dec. 13, 2012 4:39 P.M. (Updated: Dec. 14, 2012 11:01 A.M.)
GAZA CITY (Ma'an) -- The government in the Gaza Strip launched a Qatari-funded reconstruction drive in the coastal enclave on Thursday, saying there was much more work to be done after Israel's latest assault.

Gaza premier Ismail Haniyeh said he will soon travel to Qatar and several other Arab and Islamic countries to discuss further aid to the reconstruction process.

Israel said it bombed over 1,500 sites in the tiny enclave in the recent 8-day war, which ended with a ceasefire on Nov. 21.

The week-long bombardment severely damaged civilian and government infrastructure, including water facilities, police stations, a bank, an athletics club, a football stadium, mosques, health centers and educational institutions, as well as hundreds of homes.

Before the assault, Qatar earmarked some $400 million to fund reconstruction from Israel's last war on Gaza in 2008-9.

Haniyeh thanked Qatar for its support at a press conference with the director of the Qatari committee to reconstruct Gaza Mohammad Al-Amadi. The first project will dig up and resurface Yousef Al-Admeh Street in Gaza City.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2016