Wednesday, May 06
Latest News
  1. UNICEF: C. Africa armed groups pledge to free thousands of children
  2. Burundi constitutional court judge says he has fled country
  3. Obama to nominate Gen. Dunford as next Joint Chiefs chairman
  4. Tsunami threat as 7.4 magnitude quake hits Papua New Guinea
  5. Reality on ground in Yemen unchanged weeks into air war
  6. Kerry warns Burundi president's third term bid is unconstitutional
  7. Italy's parliament approves radical new electoral law
  8. French leader oversees Qatar jet deal
  9. Iran's Rouhani says not for police to enforce Islam
  10. Kerry to visit Saudi Arabia, France for security talks
  11. Activist: 2 shot dead in Burundi protests
  12. Israel PM urges action on racism in talks with Ethiopian Jews
  13. Palestinian shot after alleged Jerusalem stabbing attempt
  14. Palestinian building permits 'political', admits Israel
  15. Israel's Lieberman says will not join next govt
  16. France's Hollande in Qatar for warplane deal
  17. Region threatened as Gulf leaders hold summit
  18. Saudi-led troops in 'limited' first Yemen deployment
  19. US says no Syrian civilians killed in April 30 air strike
  20. Dutch far-right politician 'shocked' by Texas shooting

UN stresses need to defend press freedom

Nov. 22, 2012 10:30 A.M. (Updated: Nov. 24, 2012 12:21 A.M.)
BETHLEHEM (Ma'an) -- United Nations officials on Thursday highlighted the need to defend freedom of expression and ensure the safety of journalists.

The yaer 2012 is set to become one of the deadliest years for media workers covering not just conflicts but also illegal activities in their countries, a UNESCO official said.

"Today's meeting could not be more timely," Irina Bokova, said in her message to the UN Inter-Agency Meeting on the Safety of Journalists and the Issue of Impunity in Vienna.

"More than 100 journalists have been killed so far this year, making 2012 the deadliest year for the media since UNESCO began keeping records on the killings of journalists. And we are only in November."

UNESCO official Peter Launsky-Tieffenthal pointed to Israel's killing of three journalists since last Wednesday during an assault on the Gaza Strip.

"In the past week alone, in Gaza and southern Israel, we have seen disturbing reports indicating that journalists and their offices have been targeted during the conflict.

"We condemn such attacks and I urge all sides to respect the civilian status of journalists and their right to carry out their professional duties," Launsky-Tieffenthal said.
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015