Wednesday, July 01
Latest News
  1. Saudi Prince Alwaleed pledges $32 bn fortune to charity
  2. Police: 6 killed in Burundi gun battle
  3. 36 soldiers and civilians, 38 militants killed in Egypt's Sinai
  4. Liberia announces two more confirmed Ebola cases
  5. Tunisia identifies all 38 victims of beach massacre, 30 British
  6. Iran nuclear talks deadline extended to July 7
  7. HRW urges Gulf states to follow Kuwait on maid rights
  8. Medics: rebel fire kills 20 civilians in Yemen's Aden
  9. Monitor: Syria Kurds regain control of Tal Abyad after IS attack
  10. NGO: in first, IS beheads two Syria women for 'sorcery'
  11. UN envoy to brief council on war in Syria
  12. Family: Australian killed fighting for Kurds against IS in Syria
  13. Monitor: IS re-enters Syria's Tal Abyad, takes district
  14. Egypt's Sisi pledges tougher laws after prosecutor killing
  15. Tunisia admits was not prepared for beach attack
  16. Orange reaches a deal for split with Israel's Partner after spat
  17. IS car bomb kills 28 in Yemen capital Sanaa
  18. IS beheads two Syrian women 'for the first time'
  19. Kerry says 'too soon' to tell if Iran deal sealed
  20. Bomb targets Egypt state prosecutor convoy in Cairo

Official: Man killed, 2 injured in Rafah tunnel collapse

Sept. 26, 2012 9:50 A.M. (Updated: Sept. 26, 2012 10:00 P.M.)
GAZA CITY (Ma'an) -- A man was killed and two others injured when a smuggling tunnel under the Gaza-Egypt border collapsed on Wednesday, medical officials said.

Suleiman Ramadan al-Masri, 20, died and two men were moderately wounded when the Rafah tunnel collapsed, spokesman of Gaza health ministry Ashraf al-Qidra told Ma'an.

Both injured men were transferred to hospital.

Last Saturday, Muhammad Ramadan Abu Armaneh, 33, died when a Rafah tunnel collapsed on him. In early September, Talib Udwan, 24, was killed in a similar incident.

Medics say over 160 Palestinians have died in the network of underground tunnels since Israel imposed a siege on the Gaza Strip in 2006.

Egypt started closing the tunnels after an Aug. 5 attack in Sinai when gunmen killed 16 Egyptian soldiers. Egypt suspects the tunnels were used by some of the militants. Hamas says no-one from Gaza was involved in the attack.

Maher Al-Tabbaa, a Gaza-based economist, said last week that 30 percent of Gaza's goods come from the tunnels. Tunnelers say 80 percent of food sold in Gaza comes through the tunnels.

"If tunnels are closed there will be a complete collapse in Gaza. It would suffer an economic catastrophe," he said.

The tunnels have been used to import anything from food to construction materials, fuel and cars, and militants have also used them to import munitions used to attack Israel, which has targeted some of the tunnels with air strikes.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015