Saturday, Dec. 10
Latest News
  1. Clashes erupt in Hebron area, tens suffer tear gas inhalation
  2. Hamas continues 29th anniversary celebrations with military show
  3. Committee: Israel 'deliberately' tries to kill hunger strikers
  4. Israel renews detention of Palestinian journalist, activist
  5. Egypt to open Rafah crossing for 3 days starting Saturday
  6. Israel approves construction of 770 housing units in Gilo settlement
  7. Palestinians arrested for allegedly planning to kidnap Israelis
  8. Former hunger-striking Balboul brothers released from Israeli prison
  9. Israeli police shut down Jerusalem singing event
  10. Israeli bulldozers level land in Umm al-Kheir

Security sources: Freed Egyptian prisoners behind Sinai attack

Aug. 25, 2012 10:12 P.M. (Updated: Aug. 26, 2012 5:39 P.M.)
El-ARISH, Egypt (Ma'an) -- Egyptian security officials told Ma'an on Saturday that several of those involved in an attack on a border post with Israel earlier this month are Jihadis who had been recently released from prison by the Egyptian president.

The sources also said forensic authorities have determined the identities of some of the seven assailants who were killed by the Israeli army during the assault on Aug. 5 -- and can confirm that at least three of them are Egyptians.

Two are from Rafah and Sheikh Zuwaid in the Sinai peninsula, and the third -- who had recently been released -- is from Mersa Matruh in northern Egypt, they said.

Another three people security forces say were involved in the attack had been released by President Muhammad Mursi 45 days before it took place, the sources said.

They named them as Mahmoud Abdullah, 35, seized from Naja Shabana village a few days after the attack, and Abu Al-Miqdadm Abu Khalid and Abu Abdullah who were killed in the same military operation.

Another two bodies who died in the Naja Shabana operation could not be identified.

After they were released from custody by Mursi they headed to the Sinai peninsula to join Jihadi groups launching the attack, which left 16 Egyptian border guards dead, the sources said.

There are 16 people still on a wanted list for involvement who are from Rafah and Sheikh Zuwaid. They are under observation but cannot be captured as they are hiding among Sinai civilians, the security officials said.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2016