Saturday, Aug. 29
Latest News
  1. Lebanon urged to create commission on disappearances
  2. Coalition pounds Yemen rebels, sets sights on capital
  3. French thieves posed as Gulf tourists to steal hotel safes
  4. Libya shipwreck toll rises to 111, dozens missing
  5. Turkish planes join anti-IS coalition in Syria raid for first time
  6. Canada calls for Egypt's 'immediate' return of jailed journalist
  7. Austrian tragedy suspects remanded in custody til Sept 29
  8. Chad executes 10 Boko Haram suspects by firing squad
  9. New migrant truck found in Austria, three children hospitalized
  10. Brief ceasefire between Syria regime, rebels ends
  11. Egypt court hands Al-Jazeera reporters three years in jail
  12. In first, headscarf-wearing woman named minister in Turkey
  13. French journalists charged with bid to blackmail Morocco king
  14. US Republican says Iran deal makes world 'less safe'
  15. US to Iran: Release Hekmati from 'unjust detention'
  16. Pentagon: Militant hacker killed in US air strike was recruite
  17. UN: Satellite images confirm Palmyra temple destruction
  18. UN envoy urges speedy Libya talks to curb migrant crisis
  19. Four arrested over Austria truck tragedy
  20. Turkey PM forms interim government including pro-Kurdish party

Hundreds protest Israeli demolition orders in Hebron village

June 22, 2012 8:23 P.M. (Updated: June 23, 2012 7:36 P.M.)
HEBRON (Ma’an) -- Hundreds of people took part in a demonstration on Friday in the Hebron village of Susiya to protest Israeli plans to undertake mass demolitions in the area, a local committee member said.

Over 200 Palestinian, Israeli and international peace activists gathered outside of the buildings slated for demolition, Hafeth Balal, coordinator for the popular committee against the wall, said.

Israeli forces fired tear gas and stun grenades at protestors, he added.

Last week, Israeli forces issued demolition orders to Susiya village for each of its 50 buildings, a week after Israeli authorities agreed to halt all construction in the area in response to a petition filed by a settler group.

The United Nations humanitarian affairs office has warned that Susiya, a hamlet of 350 people, including 120 children, is at immediate risk of forced displacement as a result of Israeli settler group Regavim’s petition.

Local resident Nasser Nawaja told Ma'an that the demolition orders intend to clear the village of its inhabitants in order to use the land for Israeli settlements.

International law experts say that under the Fourth Geneva Convention Israel must provide for the needs of the occupied Palestinian population, and are prohibited from demolishing any structure that has a civilian purpose.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015