Wednesday, Sept. 26
Latest News
  1. World Bank report: 'Gaza's economy in free fall'
  2. Over 400 Israeli settlers storm Al-Aqsa compound
  3. Hebron shops, streets close as Israeli settlers visit holy site
  4. Abbas meets Arab and foreign officials in New York
  5. Israeli navy opens fire at Gazan fishermen
  6. FM al-Malki meets with Austrian, Portuguese counterparts
  7. Israel issues 38 administrative detention orders
  8. Israeli settlers perform prayers at Al-Aqsa for Jewish holiday
  9. Egyptian President: 'Trump made unique changes worldwide'
  10. Israeli forces detain 6 Palestinians in East Jerusalem

Rights group wants investigation after children die in sewer

Dec. 9, 2011 12:44 A.M. (Updated: Dec. 9, 2011 12:46 A.M.)
BETHLEHEM (Ma'an) -- The Palestinian Center for Human Rights called Thursday for an investigation into the deaths of two children in a sewage basin in Khan Yunis refugee camp.

In a statement, the PCHR said the party responsible for providing protective measures around the basin should be identified, as it threatens the safety and security of Palestinians, especially children.

The bodies of Wisam Ahmed Nazmi Sahloul, 5, and his sister Malak, 3, were discovered about eight hours after they disappeared, according to the rights group.

They were found inside the basin, about 150 meters from their home, after a search by civil defense, a witness said. The children were pronounced dead at Nasser Hospital, PCHR said.

The tragedy seems to be the result of a failure to determine who is responsible for securing the basin, which was built for an Israeli settlement before the army withdrew from Gaza in 2005.

The Khan Younis municipality has referred responsibility to UNRWA, which has a mandate for Khan Yunis refugee camp, but the city made plans -- so far unfulfilled -- to secure it, PCHR said.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015