Thursday, Sept. 20
Latest News
  1. Israel to demolish family home of Palestinian prisoners
  2. Israel delivers stop-construction notice in al-Walaja
  3. Residents prevent seizure of land in Sheikh Jarrah
  4. Israel demolishes under-construction house in Ramallah
  5. Israeli forces severely assault, detain Hebron residents
  6. Wastewater reuse project launches in Ramallah City
  7. Israel releases Palestinian poet from prison
  8. Israeli forces detain Al-Aqsa Mosque guard
  9. Israeli forces detain Palestinian man, wife, son in Hebron
  10. Israeli forces detain 2 Palestinians near Gaza border

Israel settlers march to protest UN bid

Sept. 20, 2011 7:08 P.M. (Updated: Sept. 22, 2011 11:26 A.M.)
BEIT EL (AFP) -- A few hundred Israeli settlers were on Tuesday marching through the northern West Bank to protest against Palestinian plans to seek full membership of the United Nations.

One group of several dozen people marched from Beit El settlement near the city of Ramallah towards a military base, waving Israeli flags and singing, while around 150 people joined a march from the Itamar settlement to a nearby military outpost south of Nablus.

The Itamar marchers were escorted by a heavy military presence.

"The Jewish residents of Judea and Samaria are unfazed by the international media buzz going on around the Abbas circus at the UN," said David Haivri, a spokesman for settlers in the northern West Bank.

He said "members of our community held symbolic processions" in order to express "our sovereignty on the land. Abbas can play house at the UN, but even he knows that that it is a show with no real implications."

Haivri added that the Oslo accords "were a mistaken concept," and the PLO and Abbas are a failure ... responsible leadership will need to be open to discuss new concepts that have not yet been considered."

Earlier on Tuesday, a group of about 100 settlers entered the Palestinian village of Asira al-Qibiliya near Nablus and began attacking residents, witnesses said.

A correspondent said stones were being thrown by both sides and that some of the settlers were armed and had fired their weapons.

Shortly afterward, Israeli troops and border police arrived and fired rubber bullets and tear gas to try and control the situation, the correspondent said.

Several villagers were injured including a Palestinian journalist, Ayman Noubany, who was beaten by settlers. He was taken to Rafedia Hospital in Nablus, Palestinian Red Crescent medics said.

Medics also said a 14-year-old boy, Aref Aref, was taken to hospital after being hit by a tear-gas canister, with the account corroborated by a watchdog group which is monitoring settler attacks as part of a new campaign.

The marches came as the Palestinians prepare to formally ask the United Nations on Friday to admit a Palestinian state as a member of the world body.

The move is fiercely opposed by Israel, and particularly by the settler movement which has vowed to stop a Palestinian state becoming a reality on the ground.

Earlier this month, right-wing parliamentarians and radical settler activists met to mull a plan of action for September, promising to stage mass demonstrations and rallies against the Palestinian bid.

None have so far materialized.

The Palestinians are planning a series of rallies and marches across the West Bank to support their bid, which they say will be entirely peaceful and will stick within areas under their control.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015