Tuesday, May 23
Latest News
  1. Bethlehem municipal council approves newly elected mayor
  2. Human rights groups demand retrial for 3 Gazans sentenced to death
  3. 34 percent increase in illegal settlement construction over 2016
  4. Israeli forces set up checkpoints at entrances to 2 West Bank villages
  5. Israeli forces detain 3 Palestinians in overnight Hebron-area raids
  6. Projectile fired from Egyptian Sinai lands in southern Israel
  7. 'Resistance isn't terrorism': Palestinians burn Trump effigies in Gaza
  8. Israeli forces shoot, injure young Palestinian woman east of Ramallah
  9. Rally for prisoners in Bethlehem turns into anti-Trump protest
  10. Palestinian shot, detained after allegedly stabbing Israeli policeman

PA: Israeli forces destroy 3 wells near Nablus

Sept. 8, 2011 3:07 P.M. (Updated: Sept. 10, 2011 1:46 P.M.)
NABLUS (Ma’an) -- Israeli forces demolished three water wells Thursday in the village of Naseriya, east of Nablus, the official Palestinian Authority news agency WAFA reported.

The wells were owned by Muhammad Wahdan Abu Luay, Najeh Zaid and Nabil Judeh.

Chairman of Jordan Valley Central Agricultural Association, Said Ishtayeh, told WAFA that the water wells were used to irrigate around 1500 dunams of agricultural land in the village.

Dozens of Palestinian families will lose their income as a result of the demolitions, he added, as the wells were the only source of water used for the agricultural season.

Israeli forces also declared the village a closed military zone, witnesses said.

Villagers said that this it the second time Israeli forces have demolished the water wells since July.

UNRWA spokesman Chris Gunness said Palestinian aspirations for statehood were "being bulldozed."

"On the eve of discussions about Palestinian statehood in New York, the Israeli authorities have resumed home demolitions in the West Bank after a month long suspension," Gunness said.

"With this resumption of demolitions on the eve of statehood talks, the prospect of Palestinian statehood is itself being bulldozed".

Gunness said five residential structures in the Umm al-Khair Bedouin community near Hebron were demolished displacing 20 people and severely affecting the 145-strong community.

A two-year-old boy, abandoned accidentally as the bulldozers moved in, was severely traumatized, he said.

More than 700 people have been displaced in the West Bank this year alone, surpassing the entire number displaced during all of last year, 594 people, according to Gunness.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2017