Friday, Oct. 20
Latest News
  1. Trump's envoy conditions Palestinian reconciliation on disarming Hamas
  2. Two Hamas fighters injured in training accident in Gaza
  3. Israel demolishes 2 Palestinians homes in Hebron-area village
  4. Armed Israeli soldier wounded by rock in overnight raid
  5. Two Palestinians detained after crossing Gaza border fence into Israel
  6. Israeli forces detain 32 Palestinians in overnight raids
  7. Israel advances more than 2,000 settlement housing units in one week
  8. Palestinian shot, injured at Gush Etzion junction for alleged stabbing
  9. Israeli forces raid, shutdown Palestinian media offices
  10. Israeli forces demolish Palestinian building in East Jerusalem

PRC agrees to ceasefire deal

Aug. 22, 2011 1:54 P.M. (Updated: Aug. 22, 2011 1:54 P.M.)
GAZA CITY (Ma'an) -- The military wing of the Popular Resistance Committees said Monday they had signed up to a temporary ceasefire deal agreed by Gaza's rulers with Israel.

The An-Nasser Salah Addin Brigades said they would temporarily stop firing projectiles into Israeli towns "for the sake of the Palestinian people’s interests."

At a press conference in Gaza City, the group’s military spokesperson Abu Ataya said several parties, including Arab nations, had attempted to broker the ceasefire deal, reached Sunday evening.

But he insisted, "there is no room to talk about permanent truce with those who kill children, women, and Palestinian leaders," referring to Israeli airstrikes on the coastal strip.

"The PRC have restored their might and they are ready to teach the [Israeli] occupation tough lessons for the crimes committed," he continued.

Israel blamed the group for a series of bloody attacks near Eilat last week that killed eight Israelis, and killed its military wing chief and several operatives in a Thursday airstrike. The group denied involvement in the southern Israel assault, but hit back with a barrage of rockets into Israel.

The Israeli cabinet met in the early hours of Monday to discuss Sunday's ceasefire announcement, in which Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said a large-scale operation was off the cards, Israeli newspaper The Jerusalem Post reported Monday.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2017