Sunday, July 05
Latest News
  1. Fighting grips Yemen's Aden as UN envoy presses truce bid
  2. Kuwait mulls charging more than 40 over mosque bomb
  3. Sousse governor among officials fired over Tunisia attack
  4. Polling opens in crucial Greece bailout referendum
  5. Greece will decide its own 'destiny' says PM Tsipras
  6. Police, witness: Suicide bomber kills five in NE Nigeria church
  7. Clinton: China 'trying to hack into everything'
  8. Airstrikes hit multiple IS targets in Syria stronghold
  9. Tunisia declares state of emergency after beach attack
  10. Ministers back to Vienna for final Iran nuclear deal push
  11. Lawyer: 2 London teens have married IS group fighters
  12. Saudi-led air strike on Yemen rebel bastion 'kills 23'
  13. IAEA: Iran atomic bomb probe may be completed in 2015
  14. FM: Iran will help meet 'common challenges' like extremism
  15. Greece PM urges 'No' vote to 'live with dignity in Europe'
  16. Ministry: Saudi policeman killed in raid, IS flags found
  17. UNESCO condemns IS destruction of Syria's Palmyra antiquities
  18. Tunisian Abu Iyadh, reported dead in Libya, is Qaeda veteran
  19. Nigerian troops battling Boko Haram gunmen outside Maiduguri
  20. Kuwait tightens security as emir attends joint prayers

Security gaps in Tulkarem after shot fired

April 27, 2011 1:16 P.M. (Updated: April 28, 2011 6:11 P.M.)
TULKAREM (Ma'an) -- Israeli forces informed PA security in Tulkarem that they should step back from the city as soldiers enter the area for "ongoing security activity" Wednesday, following an incident of PA fire nearby an Israeli patrol yesterday.

According to Palestinian sources, an Israeli guard showed his middle finger to a PA security officer as the two passed in a rare occurrence, prompting a PA officer to fire a single shot into the air in protest of the gesture.

The forces rarely encounter each other, as PA forces maintain the rule of law in Tulkarem unless Israeli forces contact local officials and inform them that a military operation will be carried out. On the orders, PA forces withdraw.

PA sources said they had not been informed that Israeli patrols would be active in the area when the incident occurred on Tuesday.

Following the single shot, which Tulkarem Mayor Dalal Dweikat had earlier characterized as a misfire, Israeli forces ordered the PA officers off the streets, security sources told Ma'an.

Soldiers re-entered Tulkarem overnight, amid what witnesses said was heavy gunfire, but appeared to withdraw shortly afterward.

There has been no indication to PA forces, however, that they can re-enter the town and continue their work.

The security vacuum has already lead to low-level disruptions, with witnesses saying a group of unknown assailants opened fire on the home of local school director Rasem As-Sa’ed causing damages but no injuries.

An Israeli military spokeswoman confirmed that border police had been carrying out an "operational activity" late Wednesday, and responded to reports of a single gunshot, noting that the incident was being investigated.

She said any activity in Tulkarem overnight was not carried out by Israeli military forces. A border police spokesman said he was not immediately familiar with the incident and would look into the report.

Palestinian security officials say they remain under order to stay out of the city, and have been unable to respond to reports of lawbreaking and violence.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015