Wednesday, Jan. 17
Latest News
  1. 500 Palestinian schools in West Bank to gain solar power
  2. Clashes erupt as Israeli forces escort settlers to Joseph's Tomb
  3. Israel orders 19 Palestinians to administrative detention
  4. Israeli forces detain 8 Palestinian minors, including 11-year-old
  5. Israeli forces kill Palestinian student, former prisoner
  6. Israel reopens commercial crossing with Gaza after 2-day closure
  7. Palestinian fisherman killed by Egyptian naval forces
  8. Group calls for release of Fatah official from Israeli detention
  9. Israeli army declares Nabi Saleh closed military zone
  10. Israeli soldiers deface poster hung in memoriam of slain Palestinian

Israel orders evacuation for Tubas-area Bedouin

March 27, 2011 7:53 P.M. (Updated: March 28, 2011 3:27 P.M.)
TUBAS (Ma'an) -- Evacuation and demolition orders were handed out to a Bedouin family east of Tubas on Sunday afternoon, local officials told Ma'an.

The orders come amid concern from UNRWA officials who noted a near two-fold increase in home demolitions during the first two months of 2011.

Nabil Mustafa Daraghmeh, the head of a Bedouin family in the Ein Al-Hilwa area outside of Tubas in the northern West Bank, was served papers demanding he and his family evacuate their tent home and move their herds elsewhere.

Palestinian security officials told Ma'an that several Israeli military patrol cars arrived in the area to serve the papers, which gave Daraghmeh one day to leave the area.

Bedouin herding families have recently been targeted by Israeli officials, who have begun executing orders for evacuation on areas in the West Bank that Israel's Civil Administration has determined are "state land," fall under Israeli-controlled Area C, or are designated as firing or military training areas.

Areas that are not under Palestinian civil control amount to over 60 percent of the West Bank, according to assessments by the UN office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs.

The UN Relief and Works Agency said last week that in the first two months of 2011, Israeli authorities destroyed more than 70 homes and agricultural buildings, displacing more than 100 Palestinians, almost half of whom were minors.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2017