Wednesday, July 29
Latest News
  1. Nuclear deal done, Iran urged to free Washington Post man
  2. Ministry: Bomb blast kills 2 Bahrain police
  3. Army: Turkish warplanes pound Kurdish militants in southeast
  4. Eurotunnel says 2,000 migrants tried to enter premises overnight
  5. Saudi-led air raids, clashes shatter Yemen truce
  6. Ministry: Cairo furniture factory fire kills 19 people
  7. Obama flies out from Addis Ababa, ending regional visit
  8. Kerry gears up to defend Iran deal for Mideast, Asia swing
  9. HRW says Saudi-led Yemen raid 'apparent war crime'
  10. Saudi king backs Turkish military action
  11. Top EU diplomat due in Iran for nuclear deal talks
  12. Libya court sentences Kadhafi son Seif al-Islam to death
  13. Erdogan: Syria safe zone will help 1.7 mn refugees return
  14. NATO stands with Turkey in face of 'terrorism'
  15. Monitor: Syria army, Kurds push IS out of Hasakeh city
  16. Obama urges Africa to end 'cancer of corruption'
  17. Obama condemns African leaders who won't give up power
  18. Obama says US stands with Africa against terror, conflict
  19. Russia names US foundation first 'undesirable' foreign group
  20. UN closes Iraq health programmes for lack of funding

Sources: Thai workers questioned in Itamar

March 14, 2011 4:34 P.M. (Updated: March 16, 2011 11:32 A.M.)
NABLUS (Ma’an) -- Israeli forces on Monday afternoon summoned all Thai workers employed in the Itamar settlement, the site of the murder of five members of the Fogel family, and held them for questioning, Ma'an has learned.

Sources close to some of the laborers said that all of the workers had been gathered and taken for questioning in relation to the stabbing deaths of a settler family on Friday night.

Though Palestinians have been forbidden from working in the settlements of the northern West Bank, foreign workers, mostly from Thailand and the Philippines, have been contracted for labor in the area.

It was unclear if Israeli investigators were widening their investigation to include the possibility that a foreign worker was involved in the attack, which has been blamed in the Israeli media on Palestinians.

Israeli officials have refused to comment on the issue. Israel's national police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld told Ma'an that a gag order has been imposed on information connected to the investigation.

An Israeli security official, speaking on the condition of anonymity in line with military policy, said there had been no change in Israel's allegations that Palestinians were responsible.

Official statements to the media also maintain that forces are searching for Palestinian militants in connection with the murders.

Meanwhile, Israeli forces detained over 300 Palestinians in Awarta in the Nablus district after imposing a three-day curfew on residents, Palestinian security officials told AFP. Two Palestinian Authority intelligence officers were amongst those detained, officials added.

The militant wings of Hamas, Islamic Jihad and Fatah have all denied involvement in the murders, with the Al-Aqsa Brigades saying Monday in a statement that they "oppose the targeting of civilians and killing of children no matter what the pretext may be."

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has accused the Palestinian Authority of incitement, saying that comments against illegal Israeli settlements provoked the violent attack.

The Gaza government accused Israel of being hasty in its assumption that the killings were perpetrated by Palestinians, calling Israeli media and government spokespeople premature when they labeled the incident a "terrorist attack."

Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015