Tuesday, Sept. 01
Latest News
  1. Turkish court arrests British journalists on terror charges
  2. Locals: Boko Haram kills nearly 80 in NE Nigeria villages
  3. Austria smuggler crackdown as Europe divided over migrant crisis
  4. 'Largest ever' Med gas field found off Egypt
  5. Egypt muezzin suspended over 'Facebook prayer call'
  6. 3 Canadians, Pakistani, Nigerian among dead in Saudi fire
  7. 'A Sinner in Mecca' documents gay Muslim pilgrimage
  8. A year on, Yazidis so close yet so far from Iraq hub
  9. Delayed Egypt elections to start on October 17
  10. Blast at Syria's Palmyra prompts fears for famed temple
  11. 11 dead, dozens hurt in fire at Saudi oil giant housing complex
  12. Red Crescent: 7 bodies wash up on Libya beach
  13. Egypt elections to start on October 17
  14. Kuwaiti MP: Iran is 'true enemy' of Gulf Arabs
  15. Iran bars Barenboim, thwarting Tehran concert plan
  16. Qatar exports plunge over 40 pct in year
  17. Beheaded Syriac bishop beatified a century after death
  18. Hungary police make new arrest over Austrian migrant tragedy
  19. Berlin, Paris, London seek urgent EU meeting on migrant crisis
  20. French PM: Migrants fleeing war, persecution must be let in

Sources: Egypt wants to host peace talks

Oct. 31, 2010 8:58 A.M. (Updated: Nov. 2, 2010 1:49 A.M.)
LONDON (Ma’an) – Egypt is contacting world and regional sides to organize an international peace conference, the London-based Al-Hayat daily reported Saturday quoting Egyptian sources.

“Egypt considers it unbelievable that the status quo remains unchanged in light of Israel’s refusal to take a positive step regarding settlements, while the Palestinian president insists that they stop settlements before he resumes face-to-face talks,” a source said.

Egyptian officials were in Ramallah days earlier trying to convince President Mahmoud Abbas to accept a partial freeze on construction in settlements, excluding settlements that Israel intends to annex in a peace agreement. The proposal was a US initiative aimed at restarting direct talks between the PLO and Israel by mid-November, the official Palestinian Authority news agency reported.

Peace talks, relaunched in Washington on 2 September, reached a deadlock within weeks over Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's refusal to extend temporary restrictions on settlement building on occupied Palestinian land. Despite pleas from the international community, full-scale settlement construction resumed across the West Bank as the freeze expired on 26 September.

'No new war on Gaza'

Al-Hayat's source ruled out the possibility that Israel would wage war on Gaza as recent reports suggest.

“Israel will remain committed to the ceasefire as long as rockets are not fired from the Gaza Strip at its territories and as long as Hamas does not carry out military activities,” the source was quoted as saying.

Several high-ranking Israeli officers have made statements recently warning of a repeat of Israel's last war on the enclave, which left 1,400 Palestinians dead and thousands injured. One senior officer, quoted in the Israeli daily Haaretz, said if another soldier was captured Israel's response would be no less severe.

In the Gaza Strip, dismissed Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh said threats to launch a new offensive were psychological warfare, but he does not think a new attack is approaching.

His comments echoed remarks by Hamas leader Ismail Radwan, who said statements by army officials were propaganda to be consumed by local media. But the resistance is ready to respond, he said.

Two projectiles landed in southern Israel on Saturday, an army spokesman said. They landed in Kerem Shalom in the northwestern Negev, and no damage or injuries were reported, he said.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015