Tuesday, Sept. 01
Latest News
  1. Turkish court arrests British journalists on terror charges
  2. Locals: Boko Haram kills nearly 80 in NE Nigeria villages
  3. Austria smuggler crackdown as Europe divided over migrant crisis
  4. 'Largest ever' Med gas field found off Egypt
  5. Egypt muezzin suspended over 'Facebook prayer call'
  6. 3 Canadians, Pakistani, Nigerian among dead in Saudi fire
  7. 'A Sinner in Mecca' documents gay Muslim pilgrimage
  8. A year on, Yazidis so close yet so far from Iraq hub
  9. Delayed Egypt elections to start on October 17
  10. Blast at Syria's Palmyra prompts fears for famed temple
  11. 11 dead, dozens hurt in fire at Saudi oil giant housing complex
  12. Red Crescent: 7 bodies wash up on Libya beach
  13. Egypt elections to start on October 17
  14. Kuwaiti MP: Iran is 'true enemy' of Gulf Arabs
  15. Iran bars Barenboim, thwarting Tehran concert plan
  16. Qatar exports plunge over 40 pct in year
  17. Beheaded Syriac bishop beatified a century after death
  18. Hungary police make new arrest over Austrian migrant tragedy
  19. Berlin, Paris, London seek urgent EU meeting on migrant crisis
  20. French PM: Migrants fleeing war, persecution must be let in

Ba'ath-affiliated faction says talks 'waste of time'

Sept. 4, 2010 10:55 A.M. (Updated: Sept. 5, 2010 2:50 P.M.)
GAZA CITY (Ma'an) -- A Palestinian faction within the PLO said Friday it rejected the Palestinian Authority's decision to resume direct negotiations with Israel, describing negotiations as "serving only Israel" and a "waste of time."

Arab Liberation Front official Ibrahim Az-Za'aneen said at an iftar dinner in Khan Younis that his movement "refuses negotiations in all its forms direct and indirect, as the PA agreed to negotiations because of US pressure on them to serve Israel's aim of continuing talks without any result."

Az-Za'aneen further said the ALF, affiliated to the Iraqi Ba'ath Party, will continue to support resistance against the occupation, adding that he hoped Islamic Jihad and Hamas would join the PLO "in order to form strong opposition to the Executive Committee's resolutions."

While the PLO endorsed a return to direct negotiations with Israel in late August, several factions within the body said only a minority had approved the decision.

President Mahmoud Abbas and Israeli Premier Benjamin Netanyahu officially returned to the negotiation table on 2 September, 20-months after talks were broken off amid Israel's winter assault against Gaza.

Speaking to reporters on Friday during a brief break from re-launched peace talks, US Middle East envoy George Mitchell said Israeli and Palestinian leaders agreed to meet every two weeks in the region to continue talks.

The first set of talks will take place on 14-15 September in the Middle East - likely in Egypt according to the Associated Press - where Mitchell and US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton will be in attendance.

Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015